Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Ch 28: Bandage

The dwindling light finally snaps me back to my senses.

The sun is setting, and night is drawing near. Soon I won't be able to see more than a few feet in front of me—and that depends on whether the moon phase is favorable.

The urgency pushes me back into survival mode and I sort through what's needed to make it through the night.

As obvious as getting fire and shelter is, another step flashes in my head, demanding priority. Neither fire nor shelter will be worth anything if both of us are dead by the morning. Our wounds need to be cleaned and treated. I may not know exactly how to do that, but cleaning it with water is certainly a start.

Water, however, is up the slope and back to where we first landed.

The incline isn't terribly steep, but when I have to carry what may be literal dead weight on my already exhausted body, it seems impossible. However, searching for another source further down the slope is beyond foolish.

I look back and forth, weighing the options until the hazy light pricks me with imperativeness once again. Thankfully, the little shock to my system also sends a fresh wave of adrenaline through my body.

I briefly wonder how much damage all this is doing to my heart. However, worrying over my internal problems is a waste of time when I have external problems ready to kill me the moment I look away.

No longer thinking, my hands move with unconscious instruction.

I need tourniquets and so they yank at my skirt, pulling it down my legs and then using the tears already present to rip strips of fabric off.

There's so much blood and dirt. I can't know exactly where the tourniquets are needed, but I do know his left shoulder needs as much pressure as I can put on it. So I focus my efforts there, wrapping and tying until several layers stand between me and the gaping wound on his back.

I find a large gash on his outer thigh and tie a tourniquet high on his leg. Other than that, I can't discern anything else on his body.

The next step feels utterly impossible, but still my body moves.

I lower myself to the ground by Cephias's left side. I grab his right arm and tug it across his body so it rests on my shoulder. Holding his wrist to keep him still, I use my other arm to grab his right leg and pull it over my other shoulder.

I can tell his body is sheer muscle without a layer of fat to be found. As lean as he is, his weight is immense and sweat collects along my hairline as I try to find my feet.

There are no other options.

I command my body, breaking past every wall it stands against me. I lift myself into a low, painful squat with his weight balanced upon my back. Then I take one quivering step forward. I move only a few inches up the hill, but it also helps me stand taller.

I know that with each step I might do irreparable damage to my body, but I simply can't stop now because stopping almost certainly guarantees death.

So inch by inch, I move forward. My gait becomes stronger and longer until I find a steady pace.

There isn't any warmth left in the sky by the time I reach the river's edge. However, the moon is big enough to shine a spotlight down into the clearing created by Cephias's fall.

I find a soft patch and collapse beneath his weight. For a time, I remain there, unable to move both mentally and physically.

As minutes slip away, my eyes drift. Cephias's bulk feels like a heavy blanket and sleep coaxes me towards a dream where nothing hurts.