Chapter 18: Liang Hao

The night was dark and still, with only the faint glow of the stars and the distant sounds of crickets and other night creatures breaking the silence. The moon was hidden behind a thick layer of clouds, casting everything in a shadowy shroud. The air was crisp and cool, causing a slight shiver to run down Jiang Yan's spine as she stepped out of her room. She wrapped her arms around herself, feeling the chill seeping into her bones.

Jiang Yan looked around, taking in her surroundings. The Jiang Residence was a large, imposing mansion that dominated the landscape, with its tall walls and imposing gate. The front courtyard was empty, the flowers and bushes in the garden shrouded in darkness. The only light came from the windows of the upper floors, casting a dim glow on the grounds below.

She took a deep breath and made her way down the stairs, trying to be as quiet as possible. She didn't want to wake anyone up or attract any unwanted attention. She tiptoed through the dark corridors, her eyes adjusting to the dim light. She could hear the faint sound of snoring coming from some of the rooms, indicating that most of the household was already asleep.

Although she loathed being at the Jiang Residence, she needed to eat. Starving herself was not an option if she wanted to grow stronger. She crept into the kitchen, rifling through the cabinets in search of something to eat. Suddenly, she felt someone approaching her. She swiftly turned around to catch the person off-guard. "Who's there?" she demanded in a hushed tone.

"It's me, Chen Ran, the cook," a low voice replied, also speaking quietly as if fearing that they would wake someone up.

Jiang Yan was surprised to see Chen Ran there. Although she remembered her from her past memories, she hardly had any interaction with her. "What are you doing here?" Jiang Yan asked suspiciously.

"Young Miss Jiang, I was going to help you," Chen Ran explained. "I made some extra food and kept it for you. You can have it in your room. That way, Madam Tian won't find out."

Jiang Yan was taken aback by Chen Ran's thoughtfulness. She had not expected anyone in the Jiang Residence to be considerate towards her.

Chen Ran quickly warmed up the food and handed it to Jiang Yan. Jiang Yan took the food from her and started to head back towards her room. As she began to leave, she turned back to Chen Ran and asked, "Why are you helping me?"

Chen Ran paused for a moment before answering, "It's not easy to be in your position, Young Miss. I know how it feels to be alone and helpless in this household. I just want to help you in any way that I can."

Jiang Yan was touched by Chen Ran's words. She had never expected anyone in this household to sympathize with her. "Thank you," she said softly before heading back to her room.

As she ate the food, Jiang Yan couldn't help but feel grateful for Chen Ran's kindness. She had been so used to fending for herself that she had forgotten what it was like to receive help from someone else.

As Jiang Yan finished her meal, she took out her phone and began scrolling through her messages. With her mind set on her goals, Jiang Yan began drafting a plan in her mind, thinking about the possible obstacles and how she could overcome them. She made a mental list of her allies and potential enemies, as well as the skills and resources she would need to acquire in order to succeed.

As she finished her planning, Jiang Yan realized that it was already late. She decided to get some rest and prepare for the challenges of the next day. She closed her eyes, anticipating what lay ahead, and eventually drifted off to sleep.

***

The basement was dark and musty, with the air thick with the smell of damp concrete and mold. The only source of light was a dim, flickering bulb hanging from the ceiling, casting eerie shadows on the peeling walls. In the center of the room, a single chair was placed, with ropes tied tightly around its arms and legs. On the chair sat the Shadow Order leader, his face bruised and battered, but his eyes still burning with a fierce determination.