chapter twenty seven

I'm more than thankful that Rafe and I sit on other sides of the limo Ward ordered on the ride to Midsummers. I spend my time talking to Wheezie and Sarah.

"You look really pretty, Luxie," Sarah says, turning to me with a smile. "I know I already said that, but I really mean it."

I stutter for a moment, unsure of what to say. After a few moments, the only thing that comes out is, "Thank you, Sarah," I finally manage, a genuine smile forming. "I appreciate it."

She nods, her expression softening. "I wanted to talk to you, Lux. About...well, about everything." She glances briefly at Rafe on the other side of the limo.

I nod as I look at my palms. "Yeah, I've— I've wanted to talk to you for a while too. There's just been no time. Midsummers, the Gala..." I trail off. "Let's talk," I finally settle.

Wheezie shifts slightly, giving us a semblance of privacy within the confined space of the limo. Sarah takes a deep breath, her eyes focused on mine.

"I know you saw me with John B," she starts, her voice low. "And I get that it might look bad, considering everything. But Lux, it's not what you think."

I raise an eyebrow, encouraging her to continue.

"We're...We are more than friends. I'll admit that. He's just— He understands me so much better than Topper does. It's complicated, and it's hard to explain, but that's the truth."

I furrow my brows, shaking my head lightly. "I— I don't understand. I thought you and Topper were doing great. I thought you were happy with him."

"I am— I was. I ran into John B one day on the yacht— he does some work for us. We started talking, and we— we really hit it off. We just connected, like that." She snaps her fingers.

"But Topper?" She hadn't answered my question.

"He's just— I don't know, Lux. I just think we're not really good for each other anymore. I bet Top has done the same thing with some girl at some point during our relationship."

"No, no, Sarah." I shake my head, slamming my eyes shut as if I'm in pain. "He— He really loves you. He's in love with you, Sarah. He would never. Top isn't my favorite guy, sure, but he treats you well. And I'm more than confident that he's never cheated on you."

Sarah's gaze drops, and she fidgets with the edge of her dress. "I don't know, Lux. Things change, people change. Maybe we're just not meant to be."

I place a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "I— I think you really like John B. And I'm happy for you, I really am. He's a good guy too. But all I ask, just out of courtesy— break up with Topper. After tonight. It's hard, but it's the right to do."

She nods her head, swallowing. "Yeah. Yeah, you're right."

"And with John B..." I warn, "just be careful. Please. I don't want you to turn into a Kook outcast."

She smiles wearily. "I won't. I promise."

I take a moment to absorb everything. It's a relief, honestly. "I'm glad we cleared that up," I say laughing awkwardly.

She nods, but then she looks at Rafe again, a hint of remorse in her eyes. "And about you and Rafe... I found out, not the best way, but I found out. Lux, why didn't you tell me?"

The guilt creeps back in. "I wanted to, Sarah. It's just...I wasn't sure how to approach you, after our argument at the Chateau. I didn't know what you would say. I was scared. I'm sorry." I swallow. "I figured that you would've found out somehow, by someone else on the island, at the Bonfire perhaps. I don't know what I was thinking. I've just been a mess lately."