7 Morning mist

Song to listen to:
Dove Cameron - Still

❀❀❀❀❀

Vivienne

The golden clock on the wall behind the café's counter indicated that it was 5.35 in the morning when I finished my shift and left. The morning mist cocooned me in and I only took a few steps before I collapsed to a nearby park bench. Couple of people and cars passed by in the streets, those who were starting their workday early. I was exhausted. My body didn't want to move an inch. As the sun was behind the clouds, the cold morning weather was biting my bare legs. I had not changed from my work outfit and the pleated skirt exposed my legs to the coldness of the bench's metal as well.

Zara had left before my night shift on Monday evening yesterday. It made me feel alone and not wanting to return home. I wasn't even sure if I had the energy to walk. I knew Zara's perfume would linger in every corner. The last dishes we didn't have time to wash were left on the sink. Everything reminded me that time always went by too fast. It also made me feel silly. Why haven't I stayed with Zara? Her presence made my breathing easier so everytime she left I was all gloomy for a few days afterwards. It was like having withdrawals. Yet, I knew things were better like this. I couldn't desperately hang on to her for the rest of my days or I would never learn to find something reserved for me only. I had to find my independence. To be strong and happy. Otherwise I would be stuck in Zara's guest room living through her and we would resent each other eventually.

I swallowed the tears back that threatened to fall and I dried the drops from the corners of my eyes, when someone almost scared me by clearing their throat in front of the bench. I saw black sneakers that belonged to a white tall legs and tattooed arms on black shorts and t-shirt. The dark eyes stared at me like he always was. I was starting to believe I would not be able to ever get rid of those eyes. They were following me everywhere. His eyes were big but narrow at the same time with the monolid and straight eyebrows. I felt he stared right to my soul, trying to figure out my secrets. The dark brown sucked all the lightness in. I don't know if it was easier for him to balance the brightness of the world. My blues ones hurt when I tried to turn to the light, making it want to stay in the abyss of darkness forever.

"What are you doing?" Zero asked and took his wireless earphones off. His face had a glow of red and his voice was slightly out of breath, he was clearly on a run with his hair on a messy bun.

"Resting and thinking how I can avoid going home", I answered, shrugging my shoulders. Maybe I can sleep on this bench.

"Why aren't you going home?"

"I'm too exhausted to walk and also I really don't want to go to an empty apartment with an empty bed", I told him truthfully. He continued to stare at me, puzzling something in his pretty head. I didn't know what he saw looking at me. Who I was in his eyes? I wanted to know almost desperately. I could have asked but the answer might have frightened me if there was only pity in his image of me.

"Come, you can sleep at my place", he said after minutes of silence in a firm voice. I couldn't register his words for a few minutes. It was possible I was hallucinating.

"What? No, I'll not", I said back confused furrowing my brows.

"It is an order from your boss. Get up or I'll carry you to my car", he sighed and the look in his eyes told me he was serious. I wiggled my arms for a second trying to weigh the options, which were either my empty home or the home of my potential enemy, but it would not be empty, I wouldn't be alone with his smell occupying the rooms. He always did smell good, all masculine with a hint of roses. Also he used the boss orders card. So I nodded and raised from the bench quickly which made me wobble until his strong arms balanced me. Oh fuck. Maybe he did need to carry me after all.