Chapter 4: The Battle of Alnus Hill

The Reich Empire camp lit up in a blaze of activity. Knights and soldiers raced into positions as their officers barked orders and horns blasted. Itami stretched as he came out of his tent armored up and with his epaulet jacket cape on.

The knight tried to calm his racing heart but refused to let it show as he walked about with Forest, who snarled behind him. They passed Freidhelm, whom Sherry ensnared in a fiery kiss before he reluctantly pulled her off him.

"I have to go, my love. I am a lieutenant."

"Please, be careful!" Sherry pleaded with tears in her eyes.

Freidhelm's dragon whined and licked Sherry before pulling his rider onto his saddle. Freidhelm began directing a squadron of knights while Alra and her dragon brought infantry up to the fortifications.

"Auf geht es! For the Father and Reich Empire!" She roared.

"You heard her!"

"Ja, to arms!"

"So noisy." Itami sighed.

He approached a guarded tent where Bruno stood with Bozes. Itami could have heard what they spoke of via Forest's enhanced hearing but realized it was a private conversation. Plus, the pleading looks on Bozes's face, and the gentle smile on Bruno's gave him a reasonable idea. Not wanting to interrupt, Itami snuck around the back as the guards inclined their heads. He returned their gesture, then lifted up the tent just enough to speak inside.

"Pina, it's me. May I come in?"

"As if I have a choice."

"It would be rude to come in unannounced. You might be in a state of undress."

Pina grumbled something but gave him permission all the same. Itami snuck inside and sat her sitting on a cot, arms crossed. She tried to maintain a dignified composure, but Forest had other plans. The dragon gave an evil grin, then pushed Pina onto her back before assaulting the princess with a series of licks. Pina screamed and tried to shove her off, but Forest proved too strong.

Itami chuckled and shook his head. After a minute, Pina's shouts transformed into giggles. Her face followed suit as she gave a child-like smile, and tears of joy streamed down. Itami sat down beside the princess, and Forest finally relented.

"It seems we have to fight your people. I hope you can forgive me."

"Humph, the gods are on our side, barbarian. My father is a conqueror, and his army is the mightiest in the world!" Pina snapped.

"In this world, perhaps." Itami said.

He saw a fire ignite in her eyes, but there was a hint of lament there, too. Unlike before, she seemed rawer and less focused. For the briefest moment, he thought he saw regret in her face, and she opened her mouth as if to say something but then clamped it shut.

"I have to go now. But I wanted to tell you something first. Whatever happens, I am glad I met you, Pina. Whatever you think you need to do to earn your father's love, know you are worthy of it regardless."

Before Pina could speak, Itami leaned in and kissed her cheek. The princess turned redder than her hair, and her lips quivered while steam shot out of both ears. Forest howled and wagged her tail while Itami got up.

"Pray for me, Pina."

He turned to see Bruno had followed his example but proved bolder. The Polonian knight kissed Bozes on the lips, and she appeared ready to melt. Yet as he tried to pull away, Bozes refused to let go and kissed him back harder. Itami and Forest nodded together, and Pina proved too flustered from the kiss on her cheek to speak.