Chapter 6: The Siege of Italica

How did it all go so wrong so fast? The question languished in the back of Pina's mind like a tumor even as she stabbed a bandit's shoulder as he readied to jump from his siege ladder. Blood splattered from the hairy man across the stone battlements, and he howled in a different language while clutching his injury.

Pina showed no mercy and delivered a punishing kick to his exposed face, sending him tumbling into his companions on the rungs below. Two legionaries raced over and slashed at the bindings until the ladder collapsed. Pina's stomach remained as hard as a stone despite this minor victory.

She stared out at the once bountiful farm fields surrounding Italica like a great lake, which now lay in ruins. In the aftermath of the battle at Alnus Hill, hundreds of scattered barbarian vassal troops and monsters now laid siege to the Imperial town in hopes of plunder or perhaps making themselves masters of it.

Pina arrived with Bozes and Beefeater a day before the siege began alongside a few dozen legionary survivors who escaped Alnus Hill. Of course, none of the Praetorians made it out, or her father. The princess's legs wobbled, and she almost dropped her spatha sword as tears filled her eyes.

"Princess!" A sharp voice cried.

Pina looked up just in time to see a drooling orc looming over her from another siege ladder. It snarled and jumped before she could raise her blade. Another man raced over and sliced it in half before cutting down a pig monster and bandit who came from another ladder. The man, in his late twenties, had blonde hair with a goatee, a small ponytail, and brown eyes. He stood taller than most of the legionaries at five foot eight and wore a muscle cuirass with shoulder tassels and a centurion helmet.

"Ahh, thank you, Norman." Pina muttered.

"Thank me by fighting!" He howled.

Nearby, Beefeater and Bozes led a group of bandaged legionaries against more attackers who came up two siege ladders. Archers shot arrows back and forth while a mob of armed townsfolk gathered around a makeshift barrier near the main gate. The gaunt men and women's hands trembled with whatever weapons they could find and jumped each time the gate pounded.

Pina lopped another pig monster's head off and looked down at a troll battering away at the wall. Behind it stood two adolescent girls. One had green hair and almost bird-like features, including talons for feet. However, Rory's eyes fixed themselves on the second.

She had long, flowing black hair with straight bangs above her crimson eyes, which met Pina's. She wore a black and red frill ribbon as a hair ornament. The girl wore a black dress with red frills, black stockings supported with garters, and red boots. A sadistic smile overtook the girl, who licked her lips while raising an oversized halberd to her shoulder, turning the princess paler than snow.

"Rory Mercury!" Pina shrieked.

Norman slapped a hand over her mouth and pulled Pina away.

"Do you want the men to break!? Their courage hangs by a thread!"

"You're right, Norman. Forgive me. Scorpio!" Pina cried.

A nearby siege weapon turned itself toward the troll before its crew shot a bolt into the monster's neck. It coughed up blood and then collapsed. A few defenders cheered until Rory stepped up in its place. The scoprio crew shot another bolt at her, but she knocked it aside with her halberd.

"Emroy comes for you, Princess Pina, and all your people." Rory said and hit the gate, breaking off a huge piece.

"Kill her!" Pina cried. Archers joined the scorpio as they pelted arrow and bolts at Rory, but to no effect. Even when the arrows struck, Rory did not slow down, and her skin just turned a little black.