Chapter 9: The Alien Battleship Part 2

Hancock watches Dr. Lopez curiously. She's finally lightened her visor, since she had to turn her screen's brightness all the way down to maintain their cover in the dark cubby they found. She's sitting on his shins facing him with her thighs up to support her computer. Their stunt worked to get them to the ship, but he dislocated his left shoulder and partially cracked his left forearm with their landing.

Once they entered the top hangar door, they were on a catwalk running just inside the hangar's upper threshold. From there, they found an electrical panel, which Lopez was able to successfully tap into, and they stashed Marvoni out of sight while they squeezed into the cubby behind the panel.

The young marine is amused at something he just noticed though. He's watched a lot of animes. And, in a lot of them, an otherwise unpopular, unremarkable, normal or nerdy guy suddenly becomes popular, specifically with girls, thanks to a sudden shakeup. He knows this isn't actually a real phenomenon, but many times, he wished it was.

Now, though, he can't help but wonder if he's wrong. Sure, Dr. Lopez isn't fawning over him like a smitten girl, but she has glanced at him over a dozen times since they squeezed together into the cramped space. He's not sure if she's glancing at him because she's afraid of him, or if she's worried about his arm, which he's carefully bracing with his boot lace and parts of Marvoni's weapons. But, he is amused that she's so attentive of him instead of her task on her computer.

She finally asks, her voice soft and nervous, "A-... Are... Is your arm...?"

Hancock replies gently, "I'll be fine. You okay?"

She nods without looking at him. There's another quiet pause. She squeaks, "Th-Thank you... f-for not letting go..."

Hancock looks down sheepishly this time. The knot MAY have come loose during their tumble, and Hancock's boots and desperate, painful grip MAY be all that kept Lopez and Marvoni from drifting into oblivion. He would NEVER hold that over them, though. He's just glad he did it. This whole week has been full of unthinkable firsts for the young marine. Many of them are even heroic, which surprises no one more than him. Who knew luck was such a heavy portion of heroism? With that, of course, it's sometimes little more than luck, right place, right time, and having the simple moment of courage to act, or even more simply, not let go.

Hancock replies softly, "Same to you." Just as important as him hanging on is the fact that Dr. Lopez trusted him and didn't let go either.

She tries to bury her face below the edge of her screen, but Hancock can still see her. She glances to make eye contact for a moment and looks back at her screen with a quaint smile.

She sits up, saying, "I'm in!"

Relieved, Hancock perks up too, asking, "You got access to their main network?"

She nods, checking the plug on her laptop for the fifth or sixth time to ensure it's not lost now. She explains, "It looks like their encryption isn't key-based like ours typically is, but... math based. I don't know an easy way to explain it, but they're using logarithmic..."

Hancock's ears start to fog as she spirals into something he recognizes as computer talk, but little else. He maintains interest, though. She knows not to expect too much feedback from him on this topic, and so she is more airing her thoughts for her own benefit. He made the observation when she was explaining how she was accessing the intercom that she seems to tune out human presences when she starts talking computers –or technology in general- and talks a WHOLE lot more. The floodgates are open again, but he doesn't mind. He's glad she's talking. Her voice, wavering as it is from fear, is still gentle but energetic, easy to listen to, and reassuring for Hancock, reminding him that the hope is far from gone. They could easily see the ship Kane mentioned, Lopez is making progress, and they're still alive. If Dr. Lopez alone makes it back to the Polonia, humanity could still win this.