Chapter 16: Captain Angelica Long and Baskylla Jardzen Dzor

Dzor watches the door open to his containment box before Khla is led back in. She brings two meals, and the humans lock the door behind her.

The surprisingly trusting humans don't even bind Khla's hands anymore, allowing her free reign of the containment box. For the last few meal cycles, she has been feeding Dzor so he doesn't have to eat off of the serving dish like an animal, as the humans have -rather wisely- expressed that his hands are unlikely to be unbound anytime soon. What they don't know is the full capacity of their captives.

Khla approaches Dzor. Once again, the meals are EXTREMELY basic, with a very bland and plain meat, and some kind of repulsive plant-based meat substitute. But, between the two items, the meal barely touches Dzor's building hunger, which is why he's careful about his temper tantrums now. The electrical component of his bindings, which he learned of the hard way, sap his strength and paralyze him briefly when activated. The humans use it on him only when he struggles most ferociously.

Dzor is now carefully biding his time, ensuring to employ his most extensive technique; a technique he knows will work in time. He's seen it in action.

Dzor accepts the food Khla feeds him, and only a moment passes before his is gone. Khla has even less, undoubtedly a cruel prioritization by the humans based on her size, even though she tirelessly helps them.

As Khla relaxes to eat her meal, Dzor growls, "[Even appeasement still leaves you prisoner.]"

Khla pauses, but she says nothing. She keeps nibbling on her meager portions. Dzor grumbles, "[You'd think they could reward you even a little.]"

Again, Khla pauses. She says softly, "[You don't understand, Yarjen...]"

He replies bluntly, "[I understand a false domicile. They have convinced you that this meager tiding is all you deserve. They fear your strength, and so...]"

"[Their entire fleet is rationing, Yarjen.]" retorts Khla bluntly. "[I have seen it. They have barely enough to feed their people. They over-populated these ships. Frustration and anger are simmering, abated only by a lack of energy.]"

Dzor scoffs, "[Their soldiers don't seem to be lacking.]"

Khla sets her plate down with one small piece remaining. She seems to have lost some of her color. She asks softly, "[Who do you think has been sharing with us, Yarjen?]"

Dzor's face twists in confusion. He replies, "[We are useful prisoners of war. Of course they...]"

"[They don't, though. They asked for volunteers because they know they don't have enough. Their... soldiers... Even after everything. SOLDIERS came forward to spare a little for each of us... Otherwise, they could o-only... feed...]" She trails off.

Dzor is silent for a long time. He is humbled, truly. He is more prone to believe it precisely because the humans have given him no signs of their struggles, nor do they seem to tell Khla anything directly. Khla fidgets with the remnants of her meal.

Dzor jokes, "[Worst case arises, I'm sure humans are edible.]" However, this only causes Khla to sink a little more.

Dzor looks at an arbitrary corner away from her, saying more gently, "[Eat your meal, Craw. Worse than the situation itself would be to waste their... kindness.]" He can't believe he's using that word, but... even he is realizing the humans aren't as simple or barbaric as he once believed. He still intends to free himself at all costs, but... There are worse captors in the universe.

Khla looks at him, a little surprised. Dzor growls, "[My scales turn blue, Helmdraff?]"

She looks sheepishly away, squeaking, "[No Yarjen! Apologies!]"