Chapter 15: Scouting The 'Iceteroid'

Chief Grey looks at the distant floating object ahead of the fleet. It's a lazily floating white asteroid drifting among hundreds of thousands of smaller brown asteroids in the solar system they escaped the Grodurns in. Rather than risk another jump so soon, they simply flew to the belt once the Grodurn Transport pulsed the solar system -the maximum range of the transport-.

Grey asks skeptically, "You sure, Cap?"

Captain Long says calmly from her command chair, "Yes, Chief. Dr. Lopez operated the ship while Helmdraff Craw consulted."

"It's an ice ball," states Grey gruffly.

Captain Long smirks, and Lieutenant Kane replies, "Which is why we want it, Chief."

Grey turns and retorts, "All well and mighty fine, Sir, but I'm not seein' why me and my marines need to land on an ice ball in an asteroid belt."

Mr. Right speaks this time, "According to the pulse sensor on the transport, there's a high probability of life based on the readings. And, we will NOT be wiping out a sentient race on my watch. I won't allow it."

Grey asks skeptically, "On an ice ball?" He gestures toward the icy object, adding, "Does it even have an atmosphere?"

Kane replies, "Externally, no. But, there are definitely gas pockets below the surface."

"Lemme just get my ice shaver, Sir."

Long scoffs, and Mr. Right retorts, "This isn't a joke, sir. If there is life on that object, and the miners hit it, we risk killing them all."

"So you'd rather risk us getting smashed by asteroids than killing some frosty aliens? They live on ice. They're evil."

Long giggles, but she retorts, "Chief, we're -I'm- only asking you to check. If the life turns out to be bacteria at most, the miners will be on it in the hour. But, if there's sentient life, we leave. We have the luxury of time, but not much.

Kane adds, "It'll be quite a few squads searching, not just yours. We'll set up some depth finders and see what the inside looks like."

Grey growls, "If some frosty bug attaches to my face, sir, I'm fighting someone in this room."

Long giggles again, "Deal, Chief. Ready away teams. The sooner we get through this, the sooner we can keep moving."

Grey salutes a little dryly, replying, "Aye aye, Ma'am."

Just as he turns to leave, Captain Long adds gently, "Chief... Safety is still a priority."

He smirks more warmly, adding, "Aye, Captain."

Chief Grey walks towards the exit, where the cooperative croc, 'Craw', is standing with an armed escort. Her voice is deep and growling, but Craw says to Grey, "Hoomin, chonce strung leef eess boctureee. [Human, chance (is) strong life is bacteria.]"

Grey retorts sarcastically, "Until we met you, chances were strong we were the only sentient life in the universe."

"Een mih esh-pee-ronce, sunchee leef oon een tuuteen sohlarr sihsteems. [In my experience, sentient life one in two-ten solar systems.]"

Grey sighs, "Twelve or twenty?"

Craw thinks for a moment. She replies, "Doobul teen. T-tuu-uhn-tee?"

Grey nods curtly. "Thanks. I feel all fuzzy inside." He leaves just as curtly. Craw may be helping, but he doesn't like the crocs. It's going to be a long while before he can forget what they did.

Chief Grey meets up with Chief Tachibana as she musters the squad. Everyone is present, including Spaceman Long, suited up in EVA suits minus their helmets as they await orders.