The Broom Closest - Part 2

A/N: Y'all. It is March 27. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JAMES POTTER!!! In honor of that, we have the more Jegulus-y version of the last chapter (as requested)!

~~~

Like usual, James and Regulus were arguing as they walked down the corridor after breakfast. They argued about literally everything, whether that be Quidditch, classes, grades, opinions about random stuff, anything and everything.

This morning, it just happened to be about professors.

"Slughorn is so boring!" James argued. "He picks obvious favorites, and I'm not one of them! Why should I like him if he doesn't like me?"

"He only doesn't like you because you're an annoying prat who disrupts class," Regulus countered. 

"Oh, shut up. You're only saying that because he loves you."

"Who doesn't?"

"Egoistical rich boy."

"You're talking?"

James couldn't even respond before his eyes were covered and he was shoved to the side, hitting a shelf of something. He heard Regulus yelp next to him, and then he heard the click of a door. He stumbled, hitting the ground and bringing Regulus down with him.

"James, what the hell?" Regulus exclaimed, basically laying on James' stomach. He took out his wand and mumbled, "Lumos."

"Where the hell are we?" James asked, rubbing his head where he'd hit it on something. The ground, maybe? He looked around.

"Where does it look like we are, genius? We're in a broom closet," Regulus deadpanned. James sometimes wondered why he even liked Regulus at all. He could be such a brat sometimes.

James adjusted his glasses. "Why?"

"You think I know any better than you?"

"No need to be rude, Reggie," James said, lifting himself from the ground. He made his way to the door, pushing around Regulus to get to it. He tried the doorknob, but it was locked. He tried using alohomora, but the door just wouldn't open.

"Guess we're stuck in here," Regulus grumbled, sitting in the corner of the closet. James sat down next to him, their arms pressing together due to the small space. Neither of them spoke for a little bit.

"You don't have to be so... annoyed at me all the time," James finally mumbled, breaking the silence. "I don't know why you are, but I don't want you to be. Is it something I'm doing?"

Regulus shrugged, but he knew the answer perfectly. No, James wasn't doing anything, and that was exactly the problem. James was perfect. And Regulus liked him far more than he'd care to admit. 

Sirius had always said that Regulus was an open book when it came to liking people. Regulus disagreed, of course. He disagreed with everyone about everything. Regulus kept his little crush quiet for the first week or so, but that's when he started asking questions. He must've asked one too many about James to Sirius, because his brother had figured it out instantly. That had been months ago, at this point, and the crush had still not gone away. Regulus hated it. He hated liking people. He hated liking James. And he hated the fact that it wouldn't just go away. Emotions only made him weak, anyway.

"No, it's nothing you did. Sorry," Regulus replied finally.

James paused for a moment before asking, "Is there something on your mind?"

Was he an open book? Or did James just know him? He shrugged again.

"You can talk to me, you know," James offered. "You can trust me."