𝒊. the birth of the sun

AFTER THE RETIREMENT of Nico Rosberg after winning the World Driver's Championship in 2016— everyone is left wondering who will take the coveted second seat at the Mercedes F1 team

AFTER THE RETIREMENT of Nico Rosberg after winning the World Driver's Championship in 2016 everyone is left wondering who will take the coveted second seat at the Mercedes F1 team. However, that question isn't left unanswered for long as Mercedes makes history.

For the first time in 45 years, a woman will enter the F1 World Championship.

Selene Evangelista— a Filipino-Korean woman, aged 19, signed a three-year contract under the British team which caused an uproar in the sport and the internet.

While several people from the sport (amongst them are the likes of Susie Wolff and Lewis Hamilton) has hailed her arrival unto the lineup as an "monumental moment" for aspiring female drivers. But avid motorsports fans are skeptical, questioning if the young driver or women at all can even compete in the high-intensity, high-stress sport that is Formula 1.

However, Evangelista with her impressive track record that rivals that of another prodigal driver, Verstappen. She is known to be a prodigal driver in the karting scene. She went straight to GP2, yielding impressive results with second place in 2014 and taking first this year making her one of the youngest drivers to do so.

Therefore, it would not be surprising⏤ if the opportunity were to arise this season⏤ to see the little prodigy succeed just as brilliantly in the big league.

However, few express fear for the fate of the young driver.

According to former motorsports driver, now renowned feminist journalist Louisa Amati, "this could very well be a cover-up to steer away from the drama from their two previous drivers or a rushed decision to resolve the glaring issue that is the gender inequality and sexism that reeks out of the motorsports industry."

"Whatever it is, though I don't doubt her talent or calibre as an athlete, they are sending that young girl to slaughter. No matter how much she succeeds, with the state of the motorsports scene— she will always come up short. If she fails, well, I don't even want to imagine it." she says, solemnly.

Toto Wolff publicly defended the young driver with his statement that says: "I think people are just cowards for taking risks or being afraid to challenge the status-quo. A talented driver will remain to be a talented driver regardless of the gender. Women have a place in this sport, driver or not, and that will never change. But change will not come if we don't make it happen. They can say what they want but it is not me who will be eating their words."

With everyone anticipating the performance of Evangelista, it leaves us wondering will she able to prove herself as worthy of a driver in the grid or will she crash and burn under the pressure?

COMMENTS

Anonymous Wokeness is destroying everything good in Formula 1. Like the women who raced have always failed, so why are they still pushing the narrative that they can now?  Long gone are the days of Senna, Schumacher... At least she is pretty enough to sit still and look pretty.

Anonymous God, Mercedes are really shooting themselves in the foot. Why would they think this a good idea? They really ruined their chances in continuing their win streak by signing her.

Anonymous It is wild seeing this now especially with a WDC win under her belt and essentially ending the Mercedes domination.

MORE RECENT HEADLINES!

— BREAKING NEWS: Two-time World Champion Max Verstappen and his significant other, Kelly Piquet have split after three years!
BREAKING NEWS: Harry Styles hints that Fine Line is about F1 Driver, Selene Evangelista!
BREAKING NEWS: Carlos Sainz in the talks of joining Red Bull!