Chapter Twelve - The Invitation

Felix and Indi were more friendly than I gave them credit for, it seemed like the mystery of the nobility gave them a threatening aura.

I added Indi and Felix's phone numbers to my phone and added them to a group chat labeled with the name 'Group Assignment.'I pulled out the blue trapper keeper of files from under my desk, I had collected news clippings, recordings, pictures, and other data during the duration of the assignment to present when I heard my phone buzz with a new message. I sat up grabbed my phone off its wireless charger and opened up the group chat.

The message was from Felix, who had sent a wall for a text into the chat, explaining some information he had gotten ahold of while in a meeting.

Felix: I'm with our dad right now checking in for a meeting with other nobility and heirs. They are currently talking about William and Blake's disappearance and how drastic the situation is, the king is rambling about the disappearances did not and will not change how the empire would see him.

Felix was still texting the chat as I read the message before, the bubbles signaling that he was typing and staying active for a long while before a message from Stephanie appeared instead.

Stephanie: Some kids are rambling in my research club about sightings of a black figure with snow appearing after the figure disappeared. Do we suppose this might be a connection?

I paused for a moment, this was new. I sifted through the papers of my trapper keeper while also turning on my laptop to do some research. I decided to message the group chat trying to figure out what Stephanie was referring to. I knew that baseless rumors would only denounce and dismiss our casework.

I sent a quick message to Stephanie in hopes she could send me an article link or an author of some kind.

Kerran: Did you hear where the kids got this intel from? Maybe a reporter or author's name?

I waited for a moment as I logged into my laptop pulled out the Selerethen search engine and typed out some vague searches in hopes of getting some kind of a hit.I soon heard the phone buzz and I glanced at the group chat once more, assuming it was Stephanie answering my question, but instead, it was Felix continuing his narration of the meeting.

Felix: Dowager Duchess Hall was talking about the changing climate happening on Natum, and their progress on underground living situations to combat the ice, and the king just yelled at her grace.

I was surprised when I read this, I knew the king was cold and calculating when it came to diplomacy but I never knew he was capable of yelling at someone for just trying to update her allies on the situation of her home.

Felix went back to typing, evident by the bubbles returning as Stephanie and Indi reacted to the message with shocked expressions. I didn't blame their shock, getting humiliated like that is never fun, I can only imagine the magnitude of it when it comes to that level of power.I finally found the article that I wanted to reference for the assignment and began to read through it, taking some notes about the most important aspects that I could reword. I knew that I had to be careful with how I worded this essay, this case was fluid and flexible, and the essay had the chance to become inaccurate within hours of a situation.