Chapter Fifteen - The DSO

Felix soon handed us our masks, I could hear in the background the sound of orchestral music, I could not tell the genre at first, but it gave a regal, authoritative energy. I examined the mask Felix had handed me to see what it looked like, the darker lighting of the house made things hard to see since we were still adjusting to the light.

The mask was black, with a subtle shiny finish on its entire form, with engravings and additions that gave the whole mask texture. The mask also had some additions on the top that mimicked the kind of patterns you would find in fancy wallpaper corners. It also had panther-like elements on its top, with panther-like silhouettes in the texture and trim.

I put on the mask and began to look around the ball, the rooms were dark, with gothic architecture lining the supports and walls, contrasted by the large tinted windows with intricate detailing amongst them. I notice Stephanie having difficulty with her mask, and wander over to ask. "Need assistance?" I offered my hands gently to her.

Stephanie looked up and seemed to freeze for a moment looking at me. "That mask suits you." She said to me, before handing me the mask. Thankfully, the mask can hide the fluster that formed in reaction to her praise.

I walk over behind her, while slowly untying the knot she had attempted to put on the mask for herself. It matched her dress quite well, with a similar style to how mine was, but with silver accents. I raised my hands to line up the mask with the bridge of her nose and her eyes, gently pulling to keep it in place as my hands traveled down the green ribbons attached to it.

I pause for a moment, before asking Stephanie. "Do you want a bow for easy removal or just a tie for security?" I lean over her shoulder to look at her. I notice her twitch a little at this action, causing me to back up out of concern.

"A bow is fine, thank you, Kere." Stephanie said gently as she tried to regain her composure. Shoot, did I upset her?  I wondered quietly as I started to tie the neatest bow I could manage. I didn't want to get her hair tangled up in the bow, cause removing that while sparing her hair would be a nightmare.

After a while, somehow I managed to get the bow to sit nicely amongst the hairstyle she had chosen for the night. I was honestly somewhat proud of myself for the endeavor. Walking, back around to face Stephanie, I smiled. "Your bow, madam, is secured," I said, soon bowing deeply in a silly attempt of trying to make her laugh while keeping the formal nature of the night.

Stephanie seemed to visibly giggle a little, evident by the movement of her shoulders, though I could not hear her over the orchestral music down the hall. I glanced to my right and saw Indi, helping Felix put on his mask, concerned I noticed how uncomfortable Felix looked with the mask on.

I wanted to approach and ask if he was alright, but I had a feeling that it was not my business and that it was something that belonged to the siblings alone. I turned my gaze slowly back to Stephanie and gave her a soft smile. "Have you been to anything like this before?" I asked her, trying to start a conversation while we waited for Felix and Indi to get their masks on and situated.

"I have not, I am quite excited," Stephanie said, she was visibly excited, cementing truth to her words. Indi and Felix eventually were ready to head inside. The Duke had wandered off somewhere else, wanting to leave us to our own devices, from what I could presume.