Chapter One

The J.A.P

J.A.P's

"WHAT'S THE CATCH?"

In the twenty-three years of my life, I never heard anyone ask me this question – especially if I am the one offering them a home and a couch – not just a couch but an expensive Italian couch that is the center-piece of my living room. My friends even say that I love this particular couch more than anyone else in my life – well they are wrong, because besides that couch, there is someone that I love and hold dearly to my heart...

I smiled at the woman in front of me. I just happen to overhear her talk with the cashier and I had noted how difficult it is for the golden scholar to talk to the cashier in charge that day. Maybe my father – the biggest stakeholder of this school would love to hear about how some people treat students here... But maybe I'm just like this because it's too early. I don't know. I just feel like I need to do something. I feel like I need to give her a place to stay just because I want too.

"What's the catch? Hindi mo ba ako naririnig?" Pumailanlang ang boses ni Divina Gracia at napahinto ang pag-iisip ko pero hindi naman ako nakapagsalita dahil nananatili akong nakatingin sa kanyang mukha. "Anong problema mo? May dumi baa ko sa mukha?" Sa pagkakataong iyon ay kunot na kunot na ang kanyang noo pero abala pa rin ako sa pagtitig sa kanya. I was looking for something – a mole, near her nose, just a tiny mole that makes her different from everyone else in this school, or a heart-shaped scar... Never mind, I found the mole.

Lalong lumuwag ang pagkakangiti ko sa kanya. I even crossed my arms to assert dominance, but I didn't see her backing down. Tinaasan niya pa ako ng kilay. That's exactly what I needed. I need someone that will never be afraid of me. Karamihan sa mga tao sa university na ito ay takot sa akin dahil sa apelyidong dala ko. But this woman, I can see it in her eyes, she doesn't fear me. I could see something else in there too, pero sa ngayon ay hindi ko naman kayang pangalanan.

"The catch? Well... let me think." Kunwari ay nag – isip pa ako, but I already know what's coming out of my mouth next and I really hope that she finds it appropriate enough to come to my house and live there because she looks like she needs it and I have this urge to take care of her.

"You need to clean my house, cook for me, do the groceries and all that shit because I am too busy to do that by myself and I don't have time to look for another maid." All of it was true. Wala akong time para sa lahat ng iyon. I used to have a housekeeper, but I recently discovered that he is reporting everything to my father. Isang bagay na ayoko. Kung anuman ang ginagawa ko at gagawin ko sa labas ng mansion ng mga Castillo ay wala nang kinalaman iyon sa kanya o sa pamilyang pinanggalingan ko. I want my own name, and my own identity.

"Wala ka bang maid?" Ahhh! Sabi ko na nga ba at tatanungin niya iyon. I only nodded at her.

"Come on. Think about it. It's late. I can see that you need a place to stay. Kukunin mo pa ang mga gamit mo sa dorm, right? It's a ten-minute drive from here. I can drive you there and help you get your things." Also, I want to show her roommate that she just didn't mess with anyone. She would see me, and she will realize who she's dealing with.

"Is cleaning your house, doing groceries and cooking for you are disguised phrases of you want to have sex with me?" I had to laugh. I wasn't expecting that, pero bakit ng aba hindi ko inasahan? Divina Gracia don't look innocent at all, she may know things and she may have experience in that field but when I told her that she will be only cleaning my house and all that shit. I meant it.

"No, it is not. I am serious. You just need to take care of the house. Most of the times, wala naman ako sa bahay na iyon, You can do anything you want, you will have access to free internet for your classes, food – you'll be eating the food you cook too, and plus that expensive couch, I can even pay you if you want. It is just a wholesome proposal. I can talk to some of my lawyers to draft a contract para pwede mo akong idemanda kapag naramdaman mong hindi ka safe o nag – take advantage ako sa'yo. I am serious."