Chapter Nine

Dindin's

JAYJAY told me last night that he will be flying to Cebu today to fix some issues with the Cebu branch. Ayoko nga siyang umalis ngayon. Sabado naman kasi at gusto kong magkasama lang kaming dalawa katulad noong mga nakaraang Sabado. We've been like this for a month now. We've been living together for six months and I can't believe that I did try to seduce him in those four months.

I told him to stay with me and cuddle but he just peppered my face with tiny kisses, then he got up and got ready By seven in the morning, right after the kisses and some intense making out, he was out of the door, leaving me needy and aching for him. He told me he'd call and that maybe he will be back tonight – pero hindi ko na iyon hihintayin, baka marami siyang aasikasuhin sa Cebu, baka bukas na siya bumali, ewan, basta ang alam ko nakakalungkot mag – isa sa napakalaking penthouse na iyon.

It is Saturday and I don't have anything worthwhile to do, well I lied, I have lots of things to do, I have too much homework but I chose to clean the house and restock the pantry. Umalis ako ng bahay at nagpunta sa pinakamalapit na grocery. Wala na kami halos stocks, hind inga kasi kami naglalabas ng bahay at pinipigilan ko rin si Jayjay na mag – order nang mag - order ng pagkain kaya naiisa – isa naming naluluto ang mga pagkain sa bahay.

I bought chicken, beef and pork. Sinamahan ko na rin ng isda at mga gulay. I bought some of his favorite snacks, my favorite snacks and some chocolates and beer. Matapos iyon ay umuwi na akong muli sa penthouse niya but as I walked down the hallway, I was startled when I saw an old man – not so old, just old enough to be my father – ringing the doorbell of the penthouse. A few moments later, I realized who that man is, it is our father. Nandito siya sa penthouse at malamang hinahanap niya si Jayjay.

I was rooted on that spot not knowing what to do. Magpapakita ba ako? Kakausapin ko ba siya? Kapag nagpakita ba ako, makakaramdam ba siya ng lukso ng dugo? Ganoon kasi sa mga pelikula. Nakakaramdam ng lukso ng dugo ang mga ama kapag matagal nang nawalay sa kanila ang mga anak nila. Hindi man nila alam na anak nila iyon, they could feel it in their bones. Pero sino bang niloloko ko? Sa panaginip lang naman ang lahat ng iyon. Totoong buhay ito at kahit kailan, hindi nagging madali para sa akin ang reyalidad ng buhay.

Instead of going to him and making myself known, I hid myself in the corner of the hallway. My heart was beating fast. Bahagya siyang nagtagal. Pumasok pa siya sa loob ng penthouse and stayed there for a good fifteen minutes. Hintay naman ako nang hintay and when he finally left, madaling – madali akong pumasok sa loob. I looked around trying to search for something new in the living room but I didn't find anything. Nakahinga ako nang maluwag. I was thinking that maybe he was just looking for Jayjay. Siguro may pag – uusapan sila.

Ipinagpatuloy ko na lamang ang paglilinis at pagpupuno ng pantry. Bandang tanghali ay sa silid na ako ni Jayjay naglilinis and that was when I found the something new that I was looking for.

It was a black square box with a note on top saying:

Happy Birthday, Jacob! Always remember.

My mouth parted. What does Jayjay need to remember all the time? Maybe it was the fact he is adopted and he can never tell anyone about their family secret. Nakaramdam na naman ako ng sakit ng dibdib para kay Jayjay.

"Birthday mo pala... sana, makalaya ka na sa golden cage na ito." Mahinang wika ko.

xxxx

J.A.P

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACOBO!"

All my friends are here tonight, it's just that I am not happy. Kung ako ang tatanungin, I'd rather spend my day at home, buried under the sheets with Dindin in my arms. I want to talk to her. I want to be with her. I want to celebrate this day with her kahit na hindi naman niya alam na birthday ko ngayon. Kung tutuusin, hindi ko naman talaga birthday. I was born on the same day as the first son; same birthday, birt month and year, that was the reason why I got adopted. Someone showed father my records and because I was the same age as the first son, he took me in and told everyone that I am his son and the rest is a lying history.