Prologue

A familiar scent enveloped the whole room. It's a scent that the girl who is sleeping on the bed kept on waking up to on some days. She isn't aware of what day or even what year it is in the present. Her eyes were always closed. She tried to open them and even tried to move but to no avail. She has been lying for a long time now.

The person who came in the room and brought that scent has been sitting still for a time. He then slowly stood up and walked to the door.

No. Don't go.

The man looked at the sleeping girl for the last time before finally opening the door and left.

This has happened many times. The girl will sense the man arriving and then leaving without saying or doing anything. He just sits near the bed and leaves when he thinks he sat for enough time.

Actually, it was not only this person who came to sit with her. In the earlier days that this girl was sleeping, the door keeps on opening and closing. Many visited her. Some she recognized, and some she didn't. She was aware of these people visiting but the people thought she wasn't. Some cried, some talked. The others touched her hands and some stroked her hair. A group would come with laughter and talk to her as if she could talk back. The group would laugh and play with each other as they are in the room but after exiting the hospital, suppressed tears would roll from their eyes. Another group would come with bountiful flowers and gifts. They would then leave with reddened eyes.

At first, all of this people were enthusiastic and firmly believed that she would one day wake up. But as time passed, the hope they were all gripping was slowly let go. Her hospital room was lively at first but as years passed it became desolate. Once, the room was filled with flowers and fruits, but at present only a vase with a green plant is visible on the table. Now, you can count on your fingers the loyal people who came and visited her. And these people didn't bother bring any as they visited because it will only be useless because the girl they are visiting never lifted a finger and not even a smile is seen on her face.

After the man left, the girl was again lonely. It was always like this. When people visited her, she was happy. But, the visitors leave at once and no one stayed for a longer period of time and loneliness would be the only thing left in the room. She was awake but not truly awake. She couldn't move and she couldn't talk. She was alive but she looks like she's dead. She wanted to cry but couldn't. She thought of the man who just left and calculated in her mind when he would visit again.

After a few minutes she lost consciousness and truly fell asleep.

As the girl fell in the abyss of sleep, the door was opened and a lady slowly came in. She is not that old but traces of aging can be seen on her face. Nevertheless, she still carried elegance and beauty contrary to her clothes that are plain and don't seem to fit the beautiful countenance of hers. She walked to the bed and stared at her daughter. She caressed the girl's face with sadness evident in her eyes. She sat down on the nearby stool and whispered a prayer. After uttering the words she always prayed for these years, the lady opened her eyes and the sadness was replaced with a stern stare. She was always hopeful, and she always will. She strongly believes that this daughter of hers will one day open her eyes.

The lady sat until the evening came. She heard the nurse came in and they greeted each other with amiable faces. The nurse checked for the sleeping girl's vital signs and recorded them. As usual, it's the same. No signs of waking up. The nurse with pitiful eyes stared at the girl lying and thought, "How unfortunate."

"Thank you for taking care of her", the mother said as she grabbed her bag getting ready to leave. The nurse smiled at her as a response and watched as the lady left the room.

The nurse filled a small basin with water and dipped a small towel. As she has been doing this for years now, she was able to wipe the girl clean in a fast speed. She changed the girl into a clean hospital gown and tucked the blanket. While pulling the blanket to cover the girl until her chest area, the nurse noticed that the blanket was crooked and was not covering the girl's toes. She then reached and tidied it. She wanted to look at the girl's face before patting herself for a job well done but when she moved her eyes to look, she was startled and let out a shriek. She dashed to the door and nearly stumbled, but she didn't care. She needs to get the doctor. She knocked once on the doctor's door and forcefully opened it. The doctor was startled and was then annoyed by the sudden intrusion. The nurse was gasping for air and when she was able to catch her breath she shouted, "She's awake!"

Please don't forget to vote and comment. Your support motivates me more as a newbie writer. Thank you! ~~Kisses & Hugs~~