Chapter 3 Pretend

*Fifth month of Cristine in coma*

An old man, with his cane, slowly walked in deeper in the room and glanced at Cristine on the bed. Pity and regret were engulfed in his eyes. He wanted to say something but he can't find the right words or rather, he was afraid he would add fuel to the fire if he was to say something so no sound came out from his mouth.

Stacy was burning with rage. How could this old man have the audacity to show his face in the hospital? If this was a younger person, she could have skinned this person a long time ago. But the old man couldn't even walk straight and a little push could cause him to roll on the floor. She controlled her fury and with gritted teeth asked, "What are you doing here?"

The old man slowly and weakly got down on his knees. Stacy rolled her eyes and didn't bother giving the man a glance.

With a shaky voice the man said, "He was not sober. He has always been a good child. It's just that he... at that time...". The old man stuttered and couldn't continue speaking. After a long pause he continued, "I.. I came here to ask for this lady's forgiveness."

"Please, stand. This will not change the fact that my daughter is lying here because of your grandson. I don't know whatever your intention is but your grandson son was able to bail himself out so I don't get it that you even bothered to come here and kneel. I might be mistaken but I see this as you trying to clean your tarnished reputation. I am sorry but I won't be able to forgive your grandson as long as my daughter is in this condition. If you want him to be forgiven, pray that she wakes up or else I will carry my hatred to my grave and will forever curse your grandson."

"This... I know", the man replied. Using his cane, he slowly stood up. "I know you wouldn't easily forgive us so I came prepared. Bring it in." The man who stood at the door for the whole time heard the command and came in with an envelope. He politely handed it to Stacy. "What's this?", Stacy asked. "I know it's hard, and difficult times will come in the future as you take care of your daughter. Kindly have the time to read the content of that document and I will wait for your response", the old man replied.

The old man started to walk towards the door. Before he could step outside, he turned back and in a soft voice uttered, "I am truly sorry for what happened. This comes from my heart. And I believe my grandson is also suffering because of this." Sensing that Stacy wasn't going to say anything, he gestured to his companion and they left.

Stacy looked at the envelope in her hands. She opened the envelope and brought out a piece of paper. As she was reading through it, she couldn't help but furrow her brows. After reading, she furiously walked to the garbage bin and threw the paper.

Never. She wouldn't do that to her daughter. She staggered as she walked to her daughter's side. But before she could reach the side of her daughter's bed, she walked back and picked the thrown paper. Clutching that piece of paper, she sat on the floor and cried.

*Present time*

Breathing heavily, Cristine used her remaining energy trying to reach the red line.

Few more steps. Just a few more.

She struggled to lift her left foot but she endured the pain. After the left, she tried to lift her right leg and she succeeded to take another step. She brushed aside the few strands of hair that were getting in the way. She took a deep breath before struggling to walk a few more steps. Finally reaching the red line, she smiled so happily and looked at her friend who was watching her from the side. Amy smiled back and waved at her.

"Great job!", the nurse praised Cristine. "If we do this everyday and with your pace, you would be able to do acrobatics next month."

Cristine laughed and looked down at her feet. This was the first time she tried to walk without crutches. Sleeping for five years was a huge toll to her physical body.