Chapter 55: (Damarius backstory)

A question always stuck in my head.

That question always haunts me every night.

I don't know what the answer is.

However, I heard the answers from the people around me every day.

That same question stuck in my mind, even though everyone else had already answered it.

Just like now...

I, who was a 7-year-old kid, fell in front of a church door because I was pushed by a group of children my age.

"Get lost, you monster!" The shortest child threw a pebble at my head until it bled.

I'm not surprised by his behavior. He was one of those people who always called me a monster every chance he got.

My question is...

'Am I really a monster?'

I looked at their faces one by one. Some looked angry, some were disgusted, and some were smiling with satisfaction.

Hold on. This story is so far ahead that it's hard to understand what's happening. Let me start from the beginning and explain everything.

I'm an orphan who lives in a church. However, I was not an orphan by birth.

In the past, I lived in a small house in a remote area with my parents. I had a pretty good life.

I take more of my mother's genes. My features, such as violet hair and eyes, resemble my mother. only my growth speed resembles father's.

My father worked as a magic instructor in an unknown place. His salary was good enough to buy me study books, and magic books, which were my favorite books. I remember that I once dreamed of becoming a magician like my father.

Meanwhile, my mother is just an ordinary housewife. She had a weak body since childhood and became even weaker after giving birth to me. Her body often lies on the medium bed we have.

There are only two memories of my mother that I still remember.

The first memory was when she embraced my body on her bed while humming a song she composed herself. And that song still and always rings in my head every night.

And the second memory is when she took her last breath at night when I was 6 years old.

Many people say that I have a more complex way of thinking at my age and that I'm more mature than my peers.

However, I, who was 6 years old, didn't know what to do at that time. My brain stopped functioning when my mother coughed up blood without stopping. And unfortunately, my father hasn't come home from work for several days.

I tried to ask the people living in the area for help.

I was so desperate that I ran from one house to another without wearing shoes. My feet were freezing and I was freaking out.

As I ran, the cold wind whipped around me, causing my eyes to water and my skin to instantly tighten. And with each step, I could feel my feet turning numb.

It was so painful...

Despite the freezing cold, I continued to run frantically, fueled by a sense of urgency that wouldn't let me stop.

As I stumbled and fell multiple times, I felt the stinging pain of my flesh being cut by the sharp rocks on the ground.

My eyes were dry and sore, and I could feel the wind freezing my tears. But I kept pushing myself to keep going.