Chapter 32

Lover's perspective; 

The next morning when midday rolled around, I decided I needed to check on Midnights, so I got her some painkillers and walked upstairs. 

"Mid are you awake?" 

"Mmmmghh," She groaned as I walked in, the door letting in light. "M'head hurts," 

"I expected that to happen," I tapped her shoulder so that she looked at me, handing her the pills. 

"Thanks Lover," She grabbed some water and took them. 

"Do you remember anything from yesterday?" I asked to gauge how bad it was. 

"Yeah, I r'member getting drunk," She scowled as I smiled sadly. 

"Wanna get up and eat something?" I suggested, and she shrugged hesitantly. "Come on, you didn't eat anything yesterday,"

She grudgingly got up, grabbing out for a hoodie immediately, which made me concerned. 

"It's not cold Mid, are you feeling okay?" 

"I'm fine Lover, stop worrying, I'm a grown adult," 

"Oh," I said, hurt. "I was just trying to be nice," 

"I know, but I can look after myself," She rolled her eyes and stood up, walking towards the door. 

"I thought that you were a nice person," I said quietly, making her turn back. 

"Lover don't cry," She sighed, sitting back down next to me. "I'm sorry for being short with you, I just-" 

"No it's okay, I get it," I said. "I can be over enthusiastic at times," 

"Okay good," She said. 

"Are you su-"

"Just stop talking Lover," She said. "I'm going to go eat," 

"Oh," I had thought she was feeling bad, but apparently not. "Oh, okay," 

"You coming?" 

"Not right now," I sniffed. She got up for a second time to leave, and I noticed a smattering of cuts on her hand."Mid what happened to you hand?"

"Hmm? Oh, musta cut it on the glass yesterday," She put her hands in her pockets, but I grabbed her arm and she winced, leaving me confused for a moment until the pieces clicked into place. 

"Oh Midnights," My stomach dropped. "Don't tell me you..." 

"I didn't do anything okay Lover? Just leave me the fuck alone," She pulled away harshly, but I stepped in front of her before she could leave the room. "Get out of the fucking door," 

"No Mid," I said calmly. "I'm not letting you out until you calm down, we need to talk about this," 

"WHAT IF I DON'T WANT TO?" She yelled, trying to push past me. I stepped forward and hugged her, partially to stop her from running and partially because it felt like the right thing to do. She struggled for a moment, then softening and hugging me back gently. 

"It's okay Midnights," I said, and we stayed like that for a minute before she stumbled back and sat on the floor. I was confused until I saw her pull her knees up to her torso and hide her face. 

I dropped to my knees beside her, wrapping my arms around her and pulling her close protectively. She shook without making any noise or crying, just shaking. 

"It's alright, I'm here," I held her tighter. "I'm here Mid, I'm not going away," 

"B-but w-hat i-if-" She struggled to talk between breaths. 

"Shh, it'll be okay," I said. "What's done is done, you can work through this," 

She sat in silence for about five minutes while she calmed down, then she took a shaky breath. 

"You said it was fine, but you don't know what i did," She mumbled. "I- I had a thing with Poets," 

"S'ok," I hugged her again, even though I was shocked inside, but she needed someone level-headed then to make sure she was okay. 

"I'm sorry Lover," She murmured into my shoulder. "Everything was going well until the last two days. I was sober, hadn't smoked, hadn't had any one-night stands, and I was starting to be...happy. I was happy Lover, and I had to go and fuck it up again, I know I was mean, but I'm trying. I'm really, really trying,"

"I'm alright, I can deal with it," I said. "I know you're trying, you're doing so well, this is just a setback," 

"But everything is so much harder than normal," 

"I know, it's not fair," I said. "It's just a rough patch, I promise it won't stay like that forever,"

"How do you know," 

"Just trust me, I pinky promise you," I held out my pinky and she took it in her own, smiling hopefully up at me. 

Rep's perspective; 

I was laying in bed doing nothing as normal, when I remembered a conversation I had had with 1989 a while ago, about being nicer to Debut. 

I had forgotten that the whole situation was pretty much my fault, so I decided to apologise. 

"Um, hi Debut," I walked over and stood awkwardly next to her bed where she was sitting, doing something on her laptop. 

"Hi Rep," She smiled warily. 

"Hi, I uh, wanted to say that... I'm really sorry," I scratched the back of my head. "I never apologised for running off and leaving you,"

She paused for a minute, shutting her laptop and then getting up and launching herself at me in a hug. I froze for a minute, patting her back. 

"Thank you Rep," She said, pulling away. "I know that you don't apologise much, it means a lot,"

"Its all good," I muttered, embarrassed.  

"Can we be friends now?" She asked shyly. "We're probably going to both be here last, so could you not hate me?"

"Course I don't hate you," I felt a pang of guilt that that was what she thought, then realised that I had probably come across that way. 

"Thank you Rep," She grinned. 

She might be immature, but she was cute, and maybe I could learn to tolerate having her around a bit. 

A/N; Bit of a short one today, but I gave you a cute moment so that makes up for it ig