012. PODIUM

We stood at the barriers of the podium. Jo's eyes were glistening in the sun as she looked up. She was glowing. They announced Lando's name, and he came bouncing out from behind the boards, a huge grin plastered on his face as he waved to the crowds. I couldn't help but laugh and smile with him; it was infectious.

He raced hard and earned himself P3 and a coveted spot on the podium. The entire McLaren garage had erupted as he crossed the chequered flag. I celebrated with Jo, jumping up and down excitedly with her, but found myself wandering over towards Danny as people clamoured over to Parc Ferme to congratulate Lando.

Danny had finished P18, last place, as two drivers DNF'd. He looked gutted.

He was sat crouched outside his driver's room with his head in his hands. I tiptoed over to him and gently sat next to him.

"Hey..." I whispered. Daniel didn't move. "You'll get 'em next time." I awkwardly tried to comfort him.

He lifted his head slightly and forced a faint smile. "Thanks, Bea." was all he could muster as he lowered his head back down. I said nothing else, gently squeezing his arm and listening to the celebrations begin further down the garage. My heart ached for him. I wanted to comfort him like he did for me earlier in the day, but I didn't know how.

We sat for a few more minutes before he let out a loud sigh, almost like he was trying to pull himself together. He turned to me, thanking me again before moving to stand up.

"Go and enjoy this. I'll be okay. You can't miss Lando on the podium. His signature celebration is really something." He ruffled my hair and smiled at me, trying to reassure me. I didn't move, trying to read his face and figure out what was going through his head. "Go, Bea, I swear I'm okay. I will see you guys tonight." Danny urged. I flashed him a sympathetic smile, and he walked off to the back of the garage.

Danny was right about Lando's celebration.

Jo squealed with excitement as she watched him smack the bottom of the bottle against the ground. Champagne was flying everywhere, and the drivers looked like little kids. They were running around, soaking each other, and laughing. It was so sweet to watch.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

As we made our way back to the hotel room, Lando and Jo couldn't keep their hands off each other. Why am I always third-wheeling?

"Guys! Come on, I'm right here!" I half-joked. Lando playfully stuck his tongue out at me. "Spoilsport!" He cried out. He pulled himself away from Jo as he ran up behind me, lifting me off the ground. Jo burst out laughing behind us.

"We will make you have fun if it's the last thing we do! We are celebrating tonight! I got a podium for you guys!" He laughed, carrying me across the hotel reception.

"Lando! Put me down! I'm going to kill you!" I squealed, trying to wriggle free from his grasp. "Jo, help me!" I begged. My ribs began to hurt from laughing so hard. I was starting to see Lando as the brother I never had. I had always wanted siblings growing up. I hated being an only child.

"You know he's right, little bee!" She chimed, laughing as she watched us. Lando gently placed me back down on the ground, and I turned to face both of them, furrowing my brow playfully.

"Fine. I'll have fun tonight." I rolled my eyes, laughing. The two of them grinned, high-fiving as I gave in. "You guys are going to be the death of me!"

As we waited for the elevator, I heard more people walk in behind us.

"Charles! Hey!" Lando called out.

I froze, remembering Jo's comment from earlier. I turned round to face him with a slight smile on my lips. He didn't even look at me. My stomach dropped.