Chapter 6

The next day, as Queen Ivana strolled through the bustling streets, her simple attire disguised her royal status, allowing her to blend in with the common folk. Yet, her black lipstick remained, a subtle reminder of her true identity amidst the sea of faces.

Her eyes sparkled with childlike wonder as she explored the vibrant marketplace, taking in the sights and sounds of the east kingdom. The colorful displays of goods and the chatter of merchants filled the air, a sharp contrast to courtly affairs.

Amidst the array of shops, her gaze was drawn to a glittering necklace displayed in a storefront window. Its shimmering look caught the sunlight, casting a mesmerizing glow that seemed to beckon to her. Intrigued, she approached the shop, her curiosity piqued by the allure of the exquisite adornment.

The necklace was simple yet irresistible, its sparkling surface casting a spell over Queen Ivana. Lost in admiration, she reached out to touch it, only to be jolted back to reality by the shopkeeper's reminder that she hadn't paid.

Flushed with embarrassment, Ivana realized she had no money with her. Unused to the mundane task of purchasing goods, she felt a pang of frustration at her oversight. If this was her Kingdom she could get anything without thinking of the payment.

The tension in the air was palpable as the shopkeeper's gaze bore down on her, and Ivana could feel the curious stares of onlookers as they began to gather around.

Just when it seemed her predicament would escalate into a scene, a young man appeared at her side, offering to pay for the necklace. Relief flooded through Ivana as she accepted his kind gesture, grateful for his intervention.

He took the necklace from the shopkeeper, only to turn and find Queen Ivana scrutinizing him with a critical eye. "Is everything alright?" he asked, a hint of nervousness creeping into his voice.

"Oh, sorry! You remind me of someone," she declared, her tone distant. "Well, I hope I don't remind you of someone bad," he quipped, attempting to lighten the mood, but the queen remained unaffected.

He had the average appearance of a commoner: smooth, glowing skin, dazzling blue eyes—the usual. "You don't seem like you're from around here," he observed, trying to engage her in conversation.

"Well, I came here to visit a friend of mine, or at least I thought we were friends.”

"Friends? Well, it's not as simple as it sounds," he replied cryptically, offering her the necklace, which she accepted with a slow nod of gratitude. She admired the simple elegance of the necklace; it was a stark departure from the extravagant jewelry she was accustomed to.

"Why can't everything be free?" She muttered under her breath.

"Well, that would be communism. It sounds appealing, but it's not necessarily a practical idea for everything to be free," he explained.

"How much do I owe you?" she interjected, feeling a sense of obligation.

"How about I show you around the town? We can see some places here and there—nothing special, just a simple stroll," he suggested. The queen hesitated for a moment, weighing her options, before accepting his offer. After all, she had no money on her, and the prospect of exploring the town seemed far more appealing than facing Sera's wrath for sneaking out alone.

“I actually never got your name,” he added. “You offered me a tour, not me giving you my name,” she added. Suddenly he stopped on his tracks and smiled, “I don't know why but I feel there is something special about you that I can't get my teeth on.”

The queen's curiosity was piqued as she regarded him with surprise. "Special? How so?" she inquired, her interest growing.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "I can't quite put my finger on it. It's just a feeling I get."