Chapter 7

Ivana returned to the palace, eager to retreat to the comfort of her clan. Lately, the tensions of this place had been wearing on her nerves. But that wasn't her immediate concern. If Sera discovered she had sneaked out without informing her, she'd be in big trouble.

As she hurriedly slipped into her room, mindful of the late hour, she closed the door behind her and leaned against it, sighing in relief.

“Welcome, your majesty,” a voice spoke from the darkness.

“Ah!” Ivana exclaimed in shock as Sera emerged from the darkness, igniting a lantern that illuminated the room and revealed her familiar face.

Queen Ivana held Sera in high regard, seeing her as both a motherly figure and a friend, even surpassing her own late mother. However, she despised seeing Sera angry with her. In the past, Sera would discipline her if she misbehaved as a child, but since Ivana's coronation as the queen of the demon clan, their roles had somewhat reversed, though not entirely.

“Oh, it's you,” Ivana replied calmly as she made her way to the bed.

“Where did you go?” concern etched on her face. “Why didn't you ask me to accompany you?”

“Sera, you're always worrying. Why can't you relax and enjoy life?” Ivana added with a smirk.

“I suppose you find it amusing, but you don't understand how many people look up to you, to our clan, and especially to me. Yet, you act as though your decisions won't impact us,” Sera emphasized.

“Sera, do you think I wanted to be the queen of the demon clan? All I desired was freedom, but all of you constantly remind me of my duties, of the expectations placed upon me. Sometimes, I wish I were dead,” Ivana replied, her voice tinged with resignation.

Sera's expression softened as she listened to Ivana's words. She moved closer to her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

“Ivana, I understand it's not easy for you. But you have a responsibility to our clan, to our people. They rely on you, they believe in you,” Sera said gently.

Ivana sighed, feeling the weight of her responsibilities pressing down on her. “I know, Sera. But sometimes, it feels like I'm suffocating under the weight of it all.”

“I know it's overwhelming, but you're not alone. I'm here for you, always,” Sera reassured her, her voice filled with sincerity.

Ivana managed a faint smile, grateful for Sera's unwavering support. “Thank you, Sera. I don't know what I'd do without you.”

“Yeah, yeah, stubborn girl, where did you go off to?” Sera questioned, still not completely trusting her.

“I just went for a stroll, to see the scenery, you know, normal people stuff,” Ivana replied.

“Why do I get the feeling like I still don't trust you?” Sera said, her suspicion evident.

“Why would I lie to a sweet friend like you?” Ivana added with a smile.

“Alright! No problem, you will eventually spill the complete truth,” Sera emphasized.

But Ivana just smiled as she lay down on Sera's lap. “I am a good girl.”

They sat in silence for a moment, the flickering light of the lantern casting shadows across the room, until the queen eventually fell asleep.

“Wow, I seriously wonder how she does it,” Sera marveled at the way the queen slept so quickly. Maybe she was tired or something.

"Sera, what are you doing?" Ivana's voice startled her as she quickly brushed off the particles.

"Nothing, just... cleaning," Sera stammered, trying to hide her concern.