Chapter 4

We hear a shout. They're looking for us, they're very close. We start running. When we get out, there's an abandoned street with houses in front of us.

"It's scary here." I said, but Blake didn't hear me. He's looking straight at a figure in a distance. It's moving. I'm so scared. We're standing here looking at each other movelessly. Suddenly the figure waved at us and went somewhere on the terrace. We don't have a lot of time , because the searching team is very close, so we went after the person.

It's an old woman, about 75 years old. She took us to her house. It's quite small but cozy. She offered us a cup of tea and something little to eat. I don't remember when I had something to eat or drink. It was a long time ago.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Do you know us? Do we know you?" I asked back.

"What did they do to you? You don't remember anything at all? I am your grandmother, Jane."

"I didn't know I had a grandmother. What happened here?"

"Firstly I want to ask you both, what is the last memory you have?"

"My last memory" I started "is when I was at the shopping mall with friends, I went to the toilet and then I remember only how they kept us in a cellar."

"The last memory of mine" started Blake "is when I was walking home from school and I wanted to cross the road and then I was in the cellar with Jane."

"I thought." said the old woman
"They wiped your memory and edited some memories of yours, so you don't remember anything at all."

"So, I wasn't at the shopping mall with my friends?"

"Exactly." Answered the old woman. "You were here with your parents. You came to me for a visit for 2 days. One evening we were sitting here, on that couch." she points at an old couch in a small living room. "You were seven years old. We had fun, we were playing board games, we were laughing, talking like a family we were. Suddenly there was a knock on a door. I wondered who it could have been, because I knew I was not expecting anyone. So I went to open the door. They got into our living room...." she stopped to cry.

"Pistols in their hands. I didn't know what they came here for but they started shouting: 'Hands up!' I managed to hide us when they killed your parents. We hid in the forest and waited there for them to leave. And Blake, you were with us, you and Jane are old friends from your childhood. You were going to same school, you were neighbours and even your grandparents were living in the same town, here. Your mothers were friends. After the men have gone we went back to the house, but there were no traces for your parents, Jane. There was only blood on these walls and this floor. I only heard shooting from pistols. Then they came back, they snatched you away from me and then have gone. This was the last time I've seen you and your parents. But you look a lot like your mother, Jane. More mature than you were before... So now you know."

"And you didn't go to the police station, to report it?"

"I went there, a couple of times, but they always told me that they couldn't do anything. I always hoped you would come back one day."

"How did you see us in the distance, when we got out of the forest?" I asked.

"I was gardening when I saw a movement in the forest and here's barely someone or something except for me."

"But anyway, we need to call the police. We managed to escape, but the men are looking for us and they're close." I said.

"I don't have a phone, so you have to go, because once they come here they'll search the houses first, so go, go now. I can't watch how they take you again." said grandma.

We looked out from a window, opened the door and started running along the street.