Chapter 26

POV Petal/Athena

I shook my head as we walked in and glanced around the room. I spotted Marge, Dom, Decker and Nat in a corner and headed that way with my brothers, Jaden and Ace following me yet again. I skirted around a large group but an arm appeared and caught me around my waist. I tensed for a moment before I realized that Spike had a hold of me. I hadn't had a chance to speak with him at the shop much so I grinned up at him

"Spike!"

"Petal!" he returned.

His smile melted as he looked behind me briefly but then came back softly when he refocused on my face.

"How did it go?" he asked as I hugged him back.

I shrugged as I leaned away to look at him. He loosened his grip on me but still kept his arms around me.

"Good. Warehouse went boom. No casualties or injuries. No cops or witnesses." I replied with a grin.

"You?"

He nodded, "Same."

I nodded toward the argument that was happening close by. "What's happening here?"

He sighed and rolled his eyes as he shook his head. "Same old, same old. The MC's want to kill. The twins and the Rebels don't. You know."

I nodded and leaned into him to rest my forehead on his chest. While most of my friends may not realize it, Spike and I were tight. He was the one that worked with me the most at the shop. We bonded over oil and engines and had gone out for drinks after work more times than I could count. He was kind and patient with me. We would get in long rambling discussions about anything. Cars, relationships, the world, nothing at all. Margo like him as well but he was my friend first. He was a comfort to me. He never made a move on me or made me feel uncomfortable.

As we got closer, we confided in each other more and more. It was nice to have someone like him. Someone that was just mine. He had finally told me a few weeks ago that he was gay and asexual. I was one of the first he had ever told and I was honored that he trusted me so deeply.

In return, I had told him everything about my childhood, Margo, my family, and even Dom. He listened and never made me feel bad. When I told him that I felt like a disappointment, he put his foot down though.

"You are happy and healthy. You own your own business and home. You've never been in jail. You aren't addicted to drugs. Your friends all love you. Most importantly, you are kind, compassionate and giving. You genuinely care about others. That is so rare in this world. If you're a disappointment, fuck, the rest of us are screwed." He lectured.

I looked up with him with tears in my eyes.

"Ya, think?" I pushed. He shook his head and hugged me tightly.

Then he pulled back to look me in the eyes, "Look at me. I know what you're feeling but I'm here to tell you, it isn't true. You are worthy. You are valued. You are good." At that, the tears came and I hugged him close.

"Thank you." I mumbled into his shoulder.

"Always. I'll always tell you the truth when you need it." he vowed and I believed him.

With that in mind I looked at him again. "What do you think?" I pressed.

He sighed again and let me go. As soon as he did, another pair of arms pulled me by the waist back. I looked up to see Joker tugging me under his arm at his side. Spike held up his hands and chuckled but then looked at me seriously.

"I'm not sure anymore. I've never wanted to kill anyone but after hearing the vile things that the Ravens have been doing.... I'm just not sure they should survive this." he answered me.

I looked to the others beside me and they looked as confused as I did.

"What things?" Ace demanded.

"Shit! You haven't heard yet? You know how we all had to wait on team 9 and 12 tonight?" he asked and we nodded.

"That's because when they went into the buildings to set the bombs they found cages... lots of them." he added and I felt my stomach drop as icy dread crept up my spine.

"Cages? What? Why?" Shooter growled.

Spike sent me concerned look as he continued.

"The ones Team 12 found had dogs in them. It looks like the Raven were starting up a dog fighting ring. Most of the dogs are hurt, a few of them seriously but it looks like they just started so they should be okay after some medical help and lots of love. Team 9 though...." he trailed off for a moment.

"Tell us!" Viper insisted.

Spike rubbed his hand down his face, he looked a little green and he looked around for a moment before refocusing on me.

"They had girls and kids in there. They were trafficking them. Some kids as young as 7. Some girls had been taken as much as ten years ago. Both teams are distraught but Team 9 is losing their minds. It sounds like it was horrid. They freed everyone and Sunny and Thor had the kids and girls brought to the hospital and the dogs to an emergency vet. Sunny is still at the hospital and Thor is still at the vets. Thrash and your Dad and Ace's Dad are livid and calling for murder. I really don't know what's right anymore. Like I said, I don't agree with murder but hearing these horror stories, how do we allow that evil to live when we could stop it? I just don't know anymore." he finished and I curled into Joker who rubbed my back softly.

Seconds later, I was pulled from him and Margo held me tightly.

"You heard? " she asked and I nodded as I clung to her. I looked over to see Nat standing off to the side, looking lost. I opened up one arm while I used the other to hold Margo. Nat rushed into our embrace.

"I swear, I didn't know. I had no idea. I would have said something. I swear." Nat lamented as tears poured down her face.

"We know. " I assured her and Margo agreed instantly.

"I want him dead. He deserves a horrible death." Nat continued.

I just held them both as my thought spiraled in my head. How had everything gotten so out of hand?