PoH Chapter 1

Author's note: I know it doesn't seem very fantasy like right now, but it'll be :D I know it's kind of short too, next time it'll be longer. Votes please?

            They say that the generic guy in a story is boring. I wholeheartedly agree.

            The clacking of plastic buttons against a plastic machine resonated through the echoing hallway, empty save for a few students that even bothered to stay this late after school. You may ask why I’m staying after so late to the point when the janitors – I mean, custodians, get annoyed at you, and there’s a simple answer.

            My ride, also known as my best friend, was busy making out with his girlfriend two hallways down against a pole.

            I’ve forgotten to introduce myself. My name is Ivylin, or more known as Lin.

            Around the time the clock struck six and I was in dire need of going home to eat something that wasn’t a Poptart, I got up from my rather comfortable position and dragged myself down the hallways where with no shame (as Aleck later told me) I pulled the two lovebirds apart.

            I pointed to the clock on the screen of my PSP, adding a glare with it.

            “It’s already six?” Aleck asked with a confused look. “You sure?”

            I nodded and took his wrist, dragging him to the student parking lot with a wave to Maddy.

            “I’ll text you when I get home!” Aleck called as we rounded the corner and out the doors. “What was that for?”

            The fact that it’s six may be a problem.

            The pickup truck started after a good number of tries and soon we were on the road home. We lived next door to each other, just like any other stereotypical childhood friend duo.

            “Don’t you ever put that PSP down?” he asked, glancing over as I continued to click the buttons. It was a rhetorical question, something we both knew the answer to. No.

            My head turned out the window when I spotted something. Keeping what I saw in mind, Aleck pulled into the driveway of his house and went inside. I looked back. The two of us hadn’t been close as usual since he had started going out with Maddy two months ago…

            My house was empty of people, for now at least. My older brother, Trent, was away at college while my parents were overseas doing whatever they did overseas.

            I walked back to where I had seen what I had seen, but I was just about too late.

            Well damn. Looks like my work just got a little more complicated.

            ****

            “Where have you been?”

            An absolute demanding voice met me when I unlocked the front door. I peered upwards to find almost a laughable sight: Aleck in an apron with a spatula in one hand.

            So I did what the reasonable person would do.

            I laughed.

            Aleck joined me, knowing that he looked fairly funny at the moment. He moved aside, letting me in to the smell of dinner.

            “So really, where were you?” Aleck asked me at the table. I thought about it. How do I word this without giving away a horrible secret?

            So I shrugged, getting back to eating to fill my empty stomach.

            Secrets.

            We don’t keep them from each other though I do think that this one is one worthy enough to never be told.       

            Sorry Aleck, I really can’t say.