PoH Chapter 17

Author's Note: Le gasp, a new chapter?! Yeah... my block is. Half. Gone. -rages in corner-

Enjoy, vote and comment please!

-grumbles to self- Where is this story going...?

---------------------------------------

Hey… no.

I gave no response, and Aleck took it as a sign to continue.

            “It felt like everything was right at that moment. When you threw me out, I realized that I wanted my best friend.”

            We’re blunt like that, aren’t we?

            “My love for you is… different. It felt different.”

            I’m skeptical (don’t forget Aleck’s rep), but hell, it’s my best friend, I really shouldn’t be at this moment.

            His hand slipped into mine.

            I let out a snort unintentionally only because the last time Aleck held my hand when we went out was when we were four and he had utterly refused to do it again after our fifth birthday.

            “What was that for?” he demanded and the tension disappeared. I waved it off, letting him figure it out for himself. He opened his mouth to retaliate when I heard my phone go off and I put up a hand to tell him to wait.

            Demon, front of school.

            I felt a little uncertain, glancing at Aleck. Wouldn’t I be killing his own kind…? Wait, what about when I froze time? Had he just been pretending before? I deleted the text, shoving the thought to the side, but I guess he had seen it, because he said, “You’re going again?”

            I nodded.

            “Lin, wait a second,” Aleck said. I sighed in the manner of “I don’t have time,” and he nodded. He gave me a crooked smile, “You know what I’m going to say.”

            I sighed again. He was asking me out, wasn’t he?

            I don’t care, I’m freezing time. Gives me more time to think anyways, since Aleck can’t move around without giving himself away.

            ALECK’S POV

            I could feel the time stop around us. There’s a strange feeling to it, like something’s being vacuumed off you. Lin turned her head to me and actually flicked my forehead, knowing that if time was still going, I’d be complaining loudly. However, I didn’t move and she gave a satisfied nod before running off towards the school. When she was out of sight, I relaxed and rubbed my forehead.

            “She’s probably going to keep it like this for a while,” I sighed and sat down on the sidewalk. It was fine honestly; it gave me time to think too.

            What was I thinking?

           Asking Lin out must be one of the most conflicted thing I’ve ever done in the three hundred years I’ve been alive. Yes, three hundred. Immortal till killed or willing to give it all up for a mortal life (Lin would probably interject here to say how cliché that was).

            I’m her best friend, yeah, but that also comes with the disadvantage. She knows my rep like the back of her hand, and can easily list off every girl I’ve dated, how many per year, and how long each lasted. I’m not sure how, because even I don’t, but she does.

            Trust. She’s not going to trust me when it comes to relationships, is she? No, that’s an obvious one. But for the first time in the life that I’ve known her, I’ve wanted her for another reason besides a best friend and the occasional ice cream bringer. I wanted her entire being, as someone I wanted to be in a relationship with.

            She knows better though…

            …what if I proved it? That she could trust me no matter what, even in this situation? That I loved her enough to tell her the unspeakable truth? Would she open her heart… to a demon like me?

            LIN’S POV

            Jeez… I brushed off my hands and carried the sleeping body of Tom to somewhere safer than the parking lot, coming back to give back Selena’s Heart. I stored the rest away for later, and annoyingly walked all the way back to the sidewalk where I had left Aleck. It irks me that I have to walk to school. Again.

            I took my dear old time to get back. I’m not going to bother to explain what was going through my head as I walked back. I mean, come on, no matter how much my being was saying, “JUST SAY YES AND SPARE THE HORRIBLE PROCESS THAT WILL INEVITABLY LEAD TO YES ANYWAYS!” I have to say no for some obvious reasons.

            Seriously, I’ll give into my desperate wants when he admits to me he’s an Aclyte. Which will probably be never. I rolled my eyes at that thought.

            Jeez.