Chapter 11

Author's Note: I thought of mashing two chapters together, but decided against it, then changed my mind and did it, except I cut out the rest of the second half so it ended with Aleck's POV barely in there. So yeah, I'm going to be slightly evil person who's only been up for half an hour.

Enjoy, vote and comment please!

5 Votes: July 21

Normality: July 23

-------------------------------------

Apparently, I have a good chance of becoming valedictorian. No thanks.

            “Lin.”

            Aleck kept his hand on my head as we walked.

            “I know, you’re upset because I haven’t spoken to you in days,” he said quietly. “I guess I was angry at you.”

            Why? I told you, didn’t I?

            “You’re putting yourself in danger, and for all these years I was unaware of it all,” he explained. “I hate to see you get hurt, and I hate the thought of you putting yourself in these situations.”

            It’s my duty.

            “That’s why. You’re going to the nurses not because you’re sick, right?”

            I nodded.

            “Lin, after this I have something I need to talk to you about,” Aleck suddenly said. “When we get home.”

            I nodded again and we reached the nurses’ office, going inside. The nurse was gone for the moment, which was good. Behind one of the curtains, the shadow of two people could be seen as well as the pinkish glow of Hearts on the left.

            “Look, Lin, I’m –”

Clicking my PSP, time froze and an anime-like gun was caught in my hand, a long chain extending from the handle.

            I honestly believe that this demon was stupid because he didn’t move when time froze, like he was a normal human. I pushed aside the flimsy curtain, pressing the barrel to his head. My weapons didn’t work on mortals, so if I was mistaken nothing would happen.

            I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.

            Ah crap.

            I quickly looked at the girl and I groaned inside. The demon was the girl… Riley?!

            She wasn’t moving, but I could see the mass of hearts inside her. I squinted closer, but I couldn’t see Aleck’s Heart. Pushing that thought aside, I pressed my gun to her head.

            “Finally caught on, haven’t you?” she smirked. “Go ahead; I’m getting tired of this human anyways.”

            That’s not really something a demon should be telling me.

            “I’m not joking,” Riley shrugged. “I’ve been living much too long. The excitement of stealing Hearts has long worn off.”

            I pulled the trigger.

            A gold dust flew up and vanished. Riley fell down onto the pillow, asleep. I took all the Hearts, stuffing them into a small jar. I’ll have to return them after school ended.  I walked back to where Aleck was and undid time.

            “-sorry,” Aleck finished up. “Wait, how’d you get to the door so fast?”

            I waved my PSP. “You stopped time, huh?” he asked and I nodded. I heard the apology, no worries about that, and gave Aleck a warm hug, or as warm as I could muster.

            ****

            “The nurse said she should just sleep when she gets home,” Aleck lied and Mrs. Wang nodded. I returned to my seat, taking out my PSP and turning it on. No work meant nothing to do but play games.

            “What’re you playing?” Aaron peeked to his side. He didn’t really have anything to do either, seeing as he just transferred in today. I showed him the screen and he watched me play till Aleck poked my shoulder.

            “Hey, Lin, how do you do this?” he asked, pointing to one of his mistakes. I paused my game and leaned over, scribbling in the explanation. He may not have thought this, but I noticed Aleck shooting daggers at Aaron.

            “Lin,” Aleck whispered. I looked up at him. He gave another look at Aaron who was on my PSP now, playing in my place. “I have a bad feeling about that Aaron guy. Just… just don’t hang out with him a lot, okay? I feel like something’s not right with him…”

            I had no reaction, but finished writing and took my PSP back.

            ****

           “Actually, Lin, I won’t be here for the weekend,” Aleck said. It was suddenly Friday night, and I was eating at Aleck’s. “I’m going to go visit a few relatives. Recently, one of my family members passed away, and I have to be there for the funeral.”

            I see.

            The week had been fast, with hanging out with Aleck, getting to know Aaron better despite Aleck’s protests. He just doesn’t like him, that’s all. I doubt there’s actually something up with Aaron.

            “I should be back by Sunday night,” Aleck said thoughtfully.

            Okay then.

            ****

            I hadn’t been on Facebook for a while. There was a reply from Trent, but I had long forgotten about the kiss thing, though I have to admit that when I think about it, it still kind of bothers me. There was also a new friend request from Aaron. Accept and read.

            I skimmed Trent’s reply, not really paying attention to it anymore.

            “BTW, Lin, I’ll be coming home in a week to visit!”

            Trent’s coming home? That’d be nice to have some company besides Aleck. I gave a reply, hoped that he wouldn’t beat Aleck up (they have a… strange relationship), and left.

            ****

            ALECK’S POV

            I left in my pickup, Lin waving at me. It was Saturday morning, and she was still half awake. When I turned the corner on the empty street, my car slipped under the concrete…