Rokudaime

It's been one year since Naruto started his special training.

Four years since Kakashi took office as Rokudaime Hokage.

Eight years since Sakura disappeared without a word.

Kakashi spun his chair around and looked out the window of his office as he rubbed his masked face. How he stepped up to the position of Hokage was beyond him, but he'd being doing it without fail for nearly five years now. Tsunade had declared one day that she'd be stepping down and selecting a jounin or ANBU to take her place. Unsurprisingly enough, she first sought out Naruto and asked him if he would take it.

He refused, saying that hadn't matured enough.

Everyone who was there to witness was astonished at how much Naruto changed in those short couple of years, but it was common knowledge that Sakura's death was a major contributor to him finally growing up. He was still cheerful and short-tempered as ever, but now he knew when to keep quiet or refrain from voicing his own, very loud opinion. He listened more, thank god, and decided to make more rational decisions.

Then there was Sai. He finally learned about the wide spectrum of emotions some years back and was a fully functioning human being with quite a great sense of humor. He still had the nerve to use those insulting nicknames, but they were all in good faith. Still, he referenced to Sakura as "Ugly" for old time's sake whenever she was brought up in a conversation.

Sasuke was also doing rather well himself. He was slowly learning to forget about Itachi with the help of Naruto and Sai, but still felt some guilt at being a key cause in Sakura's death. Though all evidence pointed to her being killed by an Akatsuki, he still couldn't help but feel that he had some part in it.

He sighed. The tiniest part of him still couldn't believe that his student had died at such an early age with them left in the dark with her true intention of leaving. There was still debate over if were her or Deidara who killed Asuma eight years ago, but the case ran cold with no clear declaration of the assailant.

And speaking of the Akatsuki...

Kakashi swiveled his chair back around and gazed at the world map spread out on his desk, focusing particularly on Ta no Kuni. It expanded about four times its original size many years ago, but no one paid very close attention to it. The country was very mysterious in itself with no rumors surrounding it other than it was built up to a strong shinobi nation that could even rival the Great Five. No one outside the population knew who the leader was, an Otogakure's outside clients never dared to reveal what the knew because of the leader's request to remain anonymous.

Konoha tried their hand at trying to unravel the secret, but none of their spies—not even Jiraiya and his frogs—could infiltrate the village or live to tell the tale. But there was one kunoichi who was a mere kilometer away from Otogakure before she was confronted by none other Hoshigaki Kisame with a sharp grin and a burnished Sound hitai-ate. The kunoichi who recounted her tale could recall the exact thing he said to her before forcing her retreat.

"Y'know, it's getting kinda annoying—all these spies comin' around and causing shit. Haven't you guys learned your lesson already? If Jiraiya-sama can fail, so can you. Get the hell out of here before I cut you to ribbons!"

His appearance could mean one of two things. One, he defected from the Akatsuki and joined up with another village by some odd miracle. Highly unlikely. Two, all active members had relocated to that village and began working under another leader. Quite possibly, considering that if they were spotted, it would be in that area. Kakashi didn't know why and how they'd do something like this, but they had been absolutely silent for the past six years and he wasn't complaining.