Chapter 9: He Would Have Taken Me

Author's note: This is the chapter I accidentally skipped. I wrote it before "It's all fun and games until..." but thought it would suit better here.

- Sophie_Juniper

”So what did you want to talk about?” Caroline asked Matt. He had invited her and Tyler to come by, hinting that he had something important to tell.

”Well, I wanted to tell you that I'm travelling to Europe in two days.” Matt said uneasyly.

”What?!” Caroline cried out when Tyler said: ”Cool, man!” Caroline punched Tyler in the arm and gave him a serious look. Then she turned back to face Matt.

”Are you going all by yourself? Where are you exactly going? Is this why you have been working like a workaholic at the Grill!?” Caroline questioned him eagerly.

”Caroline, give the man a little space.” Tyler said to her calmingly.

”The answers to your questions are: 'No', to France first and 'Yes'. How else could I afford such a trip?” Matt said calmly.

”And who is your company?” Caroline asked clueless.

”That's the reason why I wanted to talk to you.” Matt sighed and gathered himself up. ”I'm travelling with Rebekah.”

”WHAT?! Why the heck are you going with her?! Are you compelled or something?!” Caroline snapped. She wouldn't let Matt to go with that bitch.

”Caroline!” Matt raised his voice in a way which made Caroline quiet.

”It is time for me to start live my life as I want, not just hanging around and let the life just pass by.” Matt sighed significantly, ”I don't have any plans for my future right now. So I think this is a good time to do something new and experience things. I know you don't trust Rebekah, but she isn't that bad and I think she needs a break from all of this too. After all, she kinda owns me this.” Matt smiled shortly.

Caroline didn't know what to say. She struggled between worrying and understanding Matt's situation. She knew how Matt always thought everybody else before himself, so he truly had earned little time off. But with Rebekah? That was too suspicious to swallow at once.

”Caroline. I'm telling this to you two because if anything happened, you would be my back up. But I'm trusting Rebekah on this and I ask you to trust my judgement.” Matt asked sincerely.

Caroline looked up in Matt's eyes and his look was determined and serious. Caroline glanced at Tyler to get some help but he looked like he accepted Matt's decision.

”You're OK with this?” She asked Tyler.

”I don't like but I trust that Matt knows what he's doing.” Tyler said and shrugged his shoulders.

”Fine.” Caroline said bitterly. ”BUT you have to PROMISE me that you call me at least every other day so that I can be sure that you're OK. Don't be like Stefan or Bonnie who never call.” She emphasized while Matt caught her in a gentle hug.

”Thanks, Caroline. I knew you would agree me on this.” Matt said relieved. Then he looked both Tyler and Caroline. ”Don't tell Elena until I have left. I know that she would never accept this like you two have.”

Both Tyler and Caroline accepted it, although Caroline didn't like the idea. They said Matt goodbye and left him to pack. Tyler and Caroline got in the car and headed back to the Forbes House. After a long silence Caroline pointed out:

”How come that everybody else get to travel but I don't? Stefan, Damon, Elena, Bonnie, now Matt... even you, although you had no option but to leave. Everybody else have set their foot outside this town except me.” Caroline complained about.

”It's not that exciting outside. I'm just happy to be back home.” Tyler pointed out.

Caroline crossed her arm across her chest sulking and turned away from Tyler. ”But I've never really been anywhere”, she murmured staring outside of the car window. She was upset that Tyler didn't get it how unfair it felt for her. And how he didn't even offer to take her somewhere.

I'll take you. Wherever you want”.

Klaus had said to her at the Mikaelson Family Ball. Caroline smiled shortly and tried to remove this flashback out of her mind. She was just mad to Tyler, not like she would want to travel with Klaus. She remained silent but her mind kept on going.

Perhaps one day in a year or even in a century, you turn up on my door and let me show you what the world has to offer.”

That was in the 1920's dance, Caroline recalled. "How can I have his voice coming in my head right now", Caroline wondered.

Caroline. I'm standing in one of my favorite places in the world, surrounded by food, music, art, culture... and all I can think about is how much I want to show it to you. Maybe one day you let me.”

 "I wonder what is that place...? No, Caroline, focus!" She mentally slapped herself.

Come to New Orleans!”

”No wait. That was Klaus/Silas!” Caroline thought and shook her head to move these thoughts off her mind. She couldn't dream about Klaus taking her everywhere just because Tyler didn't do it.

”We're here.” Tyler said when he parked the car in the driveway of the Forbes House. ”Caroline. Are you upset?” He asked.

”A little.” She admitted. ”But you can make it up to me by kissing right now.” She said hoping that kissing Tyler would take her mind off Klaus' words...