Chapter 15: The Phone Call

”Your dad's boyfriend is nice.” Elena said to Caroline while opening the passenger's door.

”Yeah, he is. I'm so glad that despite the fact that we haven't been in touch since dad died he was still willing to meet us and on top of that invited us to dinner. I'm so full I feel like a stuffed turkey or something.” Caroline laughed. ”I'm also glad of that he seems like he's gotten over dad's death...”. She continued when she sat behind the steering wheel.

They drove to their motel in which they had stayed for five days now. They decided to rest for a while and then go out to have fun. Elena headed to the shower first while Caroline sat on her bed to watch some local talk show.

”Caroline. I think it is time.” Elena annouced as she walked in the room drying her thick hair with a towel.

”Time for what?” Caroline tried to play ignorant.

”You know what I mean Caroline Forbes, don't try to fool me.” Elena said harshly. She picked Caroline phone from her bedside table and held it in front of Caroline.

Caroline sighed. ”But I don't know what to say...” Tears began to burn her eyes.

”I know it hurts,” Elena softened, ”but it's only fair to Tyler...and to you... to talk it through. Then you know what to do next.” Elena said convincingly.

Caroline closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths.

”Fine. Give me my phone.” She said before she could lose her courage.

Elena handed Caroline's phone to her and she dialed Tyler's number. She bit her lips and nails while waiting Tyler to answer.

”Hey babe.” He finally answered. ”What's up?”

”Tyler, we need to talk.” Caroline said seriously.

”Caroline, what's wrong?” Tyler questioned.

Caroline breathed and looked Elena for encouragement. Elena sat next to Caroline and took her free hand into hers and squeezed it gently.

”I'm not sure if you have noticed but things have been little challenging between us for a while.” Caroline started.

”Yeah I have...” Tyler sounded suspicious. ”So what are you saying?”

”I know that this isn't the best way to say this...” Caroline bit her lip. ”We should have talked face to face...”

”Caroline, what is this?” Tyler demanded.

”It's not easy to say...” Caroline hesitated.

”Say what Caroline, say what?! Are you saying that you have someone else?!” Tyler said with tension in his voice.

”What?! No!! Seriously Tyler?!” Caroline was shocked. ”How can you suspect something like that?!”

”It sounded like it.” He accused. ”And I don't know... Maybe because Klaus has a thing for you and you don't seem to mind that too much!” Tyler said bitterly.

”Oh my gosh Tyler! So that's what you ment with that someone! I haven't spoken or been in any contact with him in a long time! This isn't about Klaus, this is about you and me alone. No third partys involved!” Caroline was hurt and furious.

Yes, Klaus had been in her mind from time to time but that didn't make him a ”third party”. She had tried to forget her thoughts about him and make things work with Tyler as hard as she could. Yet things seemed to mess up between the two of them.

”I love you Tyler but sometimes love isn't enough.” Caroline breathed. The hard part was still ahead of her. ”I feel like everything we've been through is now falling over as a burden we can't handle. All of this had consumed us out, or at least me, and I don't feel the same way anymore.”

”Spit it out Caroline.”

”I love you but think I'm not in love with you anymore.” Caroline's heart broke when she said her feelings out loud to Tyler. There was no turning back now.

Tyler stayed silent.

Caroline cried. ”I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Tyler!”

”Caroline... I... I don't know what to say...” Tyler stated in a voice mixed with fury, sadness and exhaustion.

They didn't speak for a long time. Caroline weeped quietly and Tyler kept sighing.

”I guess this is it then.” Tyler said finally. He sounded hurt.

”Tyler, I still care about you...” Caroline said with a shattered voice.

Tyler hanged up. Caroline let her phone drop on her lap and Elena squeezed her hand again.

”Seems like I'm officially single now...” Caroline noted and hid her face in her palms.

”I'm sorry Caroline, I thought... I thought that that conversation had to happen, better sooner than later...”

”It's ok, Elena... It had to.. But it sucks. And hurts. I feel such a bad guy...”

”Well, I guess someone always has to be the bad guy...” Elena made a sensible choice and said nothing about Klaus. ”You had to do what you had to do. In the end, it's only fair for both of you.”

They sat in silence for a moment. Caroline repeated the previous conversation with Tyler in her head and soon she found herself fighting against tears again.

”Argh! I can't be like this anymore!” Caroline cried out. ”I need something else to think about. I'll go to get a shower.” Caroline stood up. ”And then we go out.”

”You're sure about that?” Elena raised one of her eyebrows.

”Positive.” Caroline convinced and walked in the bathroom. She undressed herself and turned the tap on. As the warm water started to pour over her she let the last tears to come out. It's not easy to break up with someone you love. Tyler was hurt but she was also aggrieved about that Tyler had even thought that she would have cheated on him. As a decent person she would have never done that to Tyler.

When Caroline stepped out from the bathroom, she was broken, but now ready to gather herself up, piece by piece.

Author's Note: I have to admit that this was one of the most difficult chapters I've written so far.  Caroline has had some ruff time lately, don't you think? So please, read vote and comment to let me know how you like this part (don't be too hard on me, please :D )

- Sophie_Juniper