Chapter 2: Safe House

3 weeks before...

I sit at my led-smudged desk in the back of the classroom, furthest from Mr. Castro's desk. With my chin in my right hand, my eyes wander to the blond-haired boy sitting a few rows up, one column over.

He scribbles something down and turns the page over. How can he even focus right now? He always works with such ease and determination. I, on the other hand, still have my pencil in my backpack and my blank worksheet on the very corner of my desk, ready to flit to the floor if anyone walks past. My brain just won't work today. It's not that I don't understand chemistry, but I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that Carter was one of the twelve lucky seniors chosen to participate in the Private Science Convention in California and...well...I wasn't.

Why does it matter? I mean, who wants to attend a science convention for two weeks during winter break, anyway?

Well, the thing is, Carter and I are the two science geeks of the school—I in biology, Carter in chemistry. And the program is designed specifically for students searching for a career in the medical field. It looks great on college applications and guarantees a spot at a leading University, and eventually, in the medical field. Carter wants to be a Neurologist, while I'm interested in helping out in the ER. So obviously, we both applied. Who wouldn't?

This morning, Carter was the second to receive his letter of admission. And just ten minutes ago, Lucy Steinbeck was called. She was number twelve.

Lucy's a nice girl. Really. In fact, I think it's adorable how she sticks millions of quote-filled post-its all over her binders and doodles random stick figures on her arms. With her long brown hair and big doe-eyes always shining, it's hard to dislike her. But she just returned home from a trip with her dad overseas two days ago. And she's rich. Lucy can go wherever whenever and get whatever her little heart desires. She probably doesn't even need to attend a science convention; all she has to do is write "my dad owns one of the leading labs in the country" on her applications and she'll have acceptances for years.

"Scarlett, have you finished your work already?" Mr. Castro's scratchy voice cuts through my thoughts and I flinch.

Several faces turn towards me. One of those faces is Mr. Blondie—Carter. He smiles encouragingly at me, but I fail to return it. No Carter, a smile will not help; I need that letter.

"No," I say as I grab my worksheet. "I was trying to solve them in my head before writing them down. It's good practice."

"So what's number one?" Mr. Castro asks, frowning.

Ugh. I skim the first question quickly, heat rushing to my cheeks, when suddenly the door opens. We all look up. Most people turn back to their work, but my jaw drops slightly.

In walks Lucy, empty-handed. Her normally bright eyes are downcast and expressionless and her lips are pressed into a thin line. She walks with a slight hobble and scans the room for someone. Her eyes land on me; I notice they're bloodshot.

"Principal Edwards wants to see you, Scarlett." She clears her throat and coughs into a hand.

I narrow my eyes skeptically. "Um, why?"

"Just go," she answers through a sigh. "You'll see."

I push myself out of my chair and navigate around the backpacks blocking the aisle. Carter looks up again, but this time with a frown. He furrows his eyebrows at me and I shrug.

I make my way through the halls and stop in the office doorway. Principal Edwards straightens papers on his desk. "Lucy said you wanted me?"