8: A Little Egg-streme

Chapter 8: A Little Egg-streme

I drove to my apartment while wiping tears with the sleeves of my jacket. The heavy rain and my tears was making it really hard for me to drive as it was blurring my vision. I turned on my wiper blades to clean my windshield but they seem to be barely working. Whenever they tried to clean up it would make an annoying creaking noise so I finally decided to turn the damn thing off. I decided to turn on my radio and tuned to an FM where they were playing The Killers.

I reached my apartment and prudently parked my car in the usual driving spot and rushed upstairs as I was eager to change into something comfortable and perhaps eat a bowl of ice-cream with beer. The cold taste of beer and ice cream may just calm down my nerves and I may just get over their utter betrayal. But all of those plans went down the drain as I was greeted by my unwanted company trying to juggle two eggs in front of me. Today he was dressed in a motorcycle jacket over a wife beater and a dark jeans. Now that I realized where does he get all those outfits?

"What an un-egg-pected surprise", he said mockingly as he focused on juggling the two eggs in his hands. I internally rolled my eyes as I closed the door behind me taking a seat on my couch.

"I am not in the mood Ghost boy", I said resting my head on my hands.

"But I am egg-cited to see you today", he said glancing at me for a moment. Then it all happened in a flash, he missed a juggle so both the eggs landed on the floor with a cracking sound. I cringed at the mess in front of me as yellow substance was spattered over my cleaned floor.

"Seriously can't you just leave me alone for a second?" I hollered as I got up from my couch dramatically. He just shrugged, ignoring my sudden outburst he floated towards the counter where there was a carton of eggs. The whole time my eyes followed his movement.

"Well, well, well what should we do with the rest of the eggs?" He took one egg from the carton and threw it up in the air but thankfully caught it before it landed on the floor.

He pretended to think by tapping his index finger on the corner of his forehead. "Oh I know", he chimed looking up to me. It all happened in slow motion. Before I can react, he threw the egg towards me which landed on my face.

I felt the shell crack against my cheek as the gooey substance dripped down my face to my chest and finally it dropped on the floor. There was egg everywhere over my face, t-shirts and I can bet some even got soaked up inside my bra. I was in shock to respond to his action and whenever I tried, somehow I couldn't make up sentences into words. A colorful array of profanities was on the tip of my tongue but not a single word came out of my mouth. Before I could duck, another egg was thrown by him and it hit me over my forehead. There goes my hair. I can feel the egg running through my hair soaking inside my hair. Eww! Gross!

The sound of his annoying laughter filled the air. He pointed at me and laughed like it's the end of the world. Suddenly all the emotion I had bottled up was threatening to come out. Today had to be the worst day ever. Not only did I caught my ex best friend and my ex-boyfriend on a romantic rendezvous but I got myself splattered with eggs. Instead of defending myself, I did the only thing I didn't expect myself to do. I started bawling like a baby.

Soon the ghost's laughter stopped and he stared at me with a stunned expression on his face. My sniffles and cries in a while turned into hiccups as his features softened and something else was washed over his face.

It was guilt.

He floated towards me with a tissue box which he grabbed from the kitchen counter on the way. He wordlessly handed me the box. I took it from him and started whipping my face with it.

The ghost was quiet while I tried to calm myself down. "That was a little egg-streme", he muttered to himself but just enough for me to hear. I started laughing at his lame joke. God my emotions are all out of place.

His features held a confused look at first but then he laughed with me. Whoa! Five minutes ago he was throwing eggs at me and now we were laughing at his joke. After our laughter died down, a very long awkward silence wrapped us.

He cleared his throat interrupting the silence. "Ex-boyfriend issues?"

"Yeah", I croaked out. Okay, how does he know?

Another long awkward silence.

"I am moving out", I confirmed voicing out my decision. I couldn't take this anymore.

I expected him to throw confetti and dance to the macarena. I had just fulfilled his wish of fleeing his humble abode but I looked up see his face impassive, worry etched on it.

"Where are you gonna live?"

His response shocked me. But I wasn't going let him be the good guy. Maybe he wanted to part on good terms. I decided to reply nonchalantly.

"No worries. I will find some place to stay". Before he could interrupt I continued, "Besides, you should be happy now. You are finally getting rid of me", I let out a throaty laugh. With that, I started to walk to my bathroom to wash of my face and take a long good shower.

"No wait", he called me. What now?!

I turned around facing him. "What?"

"Stay".

.......................

I know I was supposed to post it on Sunday but I couldn't come up with anything. I hope you like Ghost boy's lame egg puns.