32: Max

I couldn't bear to look at the horrific sight in front of me. I opened my eyes to see blood everywhere. The bullet from Joe's gun hit the mirror behind me shattering it into a million pieces.

If the bullet didn't hit the mirror then where did all the blood come from.

I heard Joe's cry of pain and looked up to find him clutching his chest and behind him Max holding a gun.

Max had shot him in the chest dodging his aim.

I ran towards Audrey, hugging her tightly,"I thought I lost you today. I am so sorry you had to go through this", I sobbed holding her tightly against me. 

"I am alright Grace. I am glad we are both safe", she said reassuringly.

We broke apart after I saw a ray of light behind me. Joe's dead body disappeared in thin air, leaving no traces behind except for blood.

Max dropped the gun to the floor, falling to the ground,"What just happened?"

"He is dead. He just lost his supernatural powers meaning his existence has been completely wiped off of this world. That's how mediums die", he said.

"How did you get to know we were here?" I asked him.

"Audrey summoned me. She used her powers as a medium", Max said looking at Audrey,"I am glad you called me or else...", he had tears in his eyes,"Audrey, I am so sorry", his mumbled through the tears.

"It's not your fault Max. You saved us", I said hugging him. In that moment I seem to feel a lot better, even if there was no warmth; no feeling but Max's presence made everything better. He looked surprised by the gesture. He looked at me, with guilt in his eyes and planted a kiss on my forehead. The next thing I knew he vanished into thin air.

After we got back home the first thing I did was check up on Audrey after cleaning her up,"Are you hurt?" I inquired inspecting her hands and knees for injuries.

"It's alright Gracie, I just hurt my knee a little", I took out the antiseptic from the cupboard and soaked a cotton in it. I pressed the cotton against her wound.

"It hurts", she said moaning from the pain.

"It's going to be alright", I said taking the cotton off her bruise then wrapping a gauge on her knee.

"Nothing's going to be alright", she said, tears streaming down her face.

"Oh Audrey, what happened? Does this hurt a lot?" 

"I miss Max. Why did he go away?" She sobbed.

"I am sure he will be back. Maybe he will be able to take over his body and come back to life", I said the words to console Audrey and myself.

With the help of an ambulance we managed to move Max' s body to our home. According to the doctor, he is in a coma but his vitals are healthy. In fact he had been in a coma for the past ten years.

The doctor suggested that we move him to my house where he has been staying. I had to lie to the doctor and say how he has been staying in that house for a long time and we just needed an ambulance to move him. When he asked for Max's medical report I had to cook up another lie. I had to take money out of my college fund to pay for the hospital bills and with such little money left I would have to take up two more jobs.

I was able to put Audrey to sleep after she had her dinner. I needed a shower. After Max left I had cleaned the garage to remove any traces of blood. I scrubbed myself until my skin started to hurt, washing away today's memory.  I got out of the shower to see Max' s lifeless body lying on my bed. It was the Max in flesh but he was so unfamiliar to me. He felt like a stranger. I touched his forehead and the feeling was different. Unlike Max's soul I could actually feel the warmth of his body and the feel of his skin under my touch. I wanted to hear his witty remarks. I missed him, I wish he would come back.