18: How to get out of Hula Dancing

Chapter 18: How to get out of Hula Dancing

My day couldn't get any worse.

"Seriously I have to perform that stupid dance today?" I asked with an incredulous look on my face. Sophie just nodded at me, her lips forming into a straight line. I huffed, scrunching my eyebrows and crossing my hands on my chest.

Every week we have a little show where some of the waitresses have to perform Hawaiian dances in coconut bras and a hula skirt. I was able to skip that for the last few weeks but today our boss Santiago decided to come out of his cigarette smoke infested room and take a look around the diner.

"How come you don't have to perform these dances?" I asked Sophie dubiously when I came to the sudden conclusion. Sophie has been working at this diner for a year and she hasn't mentioned about her experience as a dancer even once. Besides in the few weeks I have worked here I have never seen her perform those silly dances.

"Uh- I pulled a few strings" she tied her colorful hair into a messy bun. The neon blue and pink strands of her hair falling to her sides.

"What kind of strings?" I raised an eyebrow at her. I gave her my 'spill it out' look.

"Okay fine!" she turned on her heels and started walking towards the bar, the sun reflecting on her ash blonde hair making it look pale yellow. I decided to follow her. Sophie had been extremely nice to me after the Casey incident- she didn't prod me about it or anything but instead she sat me down on one of the wooden stools and told me to calm down. I was kind of losing it. With tears falling down my cheeks and not to mention the occasional bursts of "How could she betray me like that?". I am pretty sure the whole diner knew I have been cheated on by my best friend.

In hindsight Sophie was probably eager to know what happened between us. I knew her well - outside she might be calm but inside she was dying to know what happened. On the other hand, she was really happy about the fact that I threw the milkshake at Casey. She was smirking the whole time while the scene had unfolded in front of her. I bet if I wasn't upset she would have high fived me.

"What's up Nick?" Sophie asked the guy behind the bar taking a seat on the tiny bar stools. I always found the stools uncomfortable but I silently wedged myself into one.

"Not much, since I didn't get to see your pretty face" he winked at Sophie while polishing the shot glass with a washcloth.

"Glad to know you have been missing me". Sophie flashed him a flirty smile.

I cleared my throat to interrupt their shameless flirting.

"Oh yes, this is my friend Grace" she introduced me gesturing her hand towards me, "And Grace meet Nick"

He gave me a wave with his free hand and in return I gave him a small smile. Nick was a handsome man with a towering figure and broad shoulders. His jet black hair was neatly brushed to the side judging by his face he was in his early twenties.

"Sophie's friends are beautiful like her" he said in a thick Mexican accent. I swear I saw the slightest hint of blush creep up Sophie's cheeks.

"So my friend here needs a small favor from you"

"Ask away" he smirked leaning over the bar.

"She doesn't want to perform those stupid exotic dances and you have to get her out of it"

"I don't know my brother seemed to be in a bad mood today", he brushed his hair with his finger looking towards Santiago. So Nick was Santiago's Brother?

"Come on Nick! Please for me" she requested fluttering her eyelashes. Sophie took Nick's hand in her small ones and scooted closer to him.

Nick gave up. "Fine! I will see what I can do about it", he smirked, taking Sophie's hand in his and planting a kiss on Sophie's hand. Sophie winked back at him. God, they should get a room!