Influence

Vitruvius loomed ahead, with six pinkish rings all riddled with chunks of metallic silver debris. From afar the planet's surface appeared misty, but looking closer through the haze, cerulean bodies of liquid seemed to swallow the strange world whole. Islands speckled the endless oceans, some connecting and forming clusters, geometrically spaced as if by design. The north cap glistened aqua while the south glowed fuchsia. Great lavender clouds swirled across coastlines and shores, never quite touching the crimson land.

As Violet observed the planet, her heart sang. She could feel a change within as her fingertips tingled in anticipation. Could this be the place where she truly belonged? Violet's energy was pulling towards the people there, millions of whispers blew through her mind if she listened closely and as the planet grew on the horizon, the whispering grew louder. An energy invigorated her, pumping her blood faster, her ever sensitive senses growing stronger. She wondered how a place could exist where the population had abilities that rendered secrets nearly impossible, and how evil could have flourished in such a place.

She caught her own small reflection in the window beside Vitruvius, still not used to her large jade eyes or how the silver specks dotting her golden skin flickered in colorful waves. Violet's plum locks framed her heart shaped face, falling from a low curly bun. Paired with the planet, her new colors seemed more beautiful. She thought she looked pretty, for the first time in what felt like forever...or the first time since Zia went away, she reminded herself.

Gentle footsteps stopped behind Violet in the upper level of the ship. She turned to find Purple standing silently, patiently. She was beginning to notice something new about him. His age.  His wrinkled hands, tired eyes and long sighs gave him away.

"I'm feeling stronger, the closer we get. Why do you think that is?" She had learned that Purple held answers for most of her questions, if she had the bravery to ask them.

"I imagine you are. Look out again," he faced the planet and pointed, "see the six rings circling the planet and the rocks inside of those rings? They make up what Vitruvians call the Influence. The material in those rocks conducts energy that drives power like yours. As we grow closer, you will feel the Influence more and more."

"I'm trying to picture what it's like there, I bet everyone is...so powerful." She gestured to the dusky planet behind her.

"You can try, but you will never know another place like this." He stepped closer to the window, reached his hand out and touched the cool glass for a moment.

"Have you been there before?" She sat in one of the crimson chairs by the window, directing Purple to the one beside her.

He lowered himself into the chair with great care,"Yes, but that was many years ago and if I've learned anything in my travels it is this...nothing stays the same." He tapped a finger on his chin.

"Did you like it when you were there?"

"Yes, I did. The planet is splendid, the colors alone will take your breath away. As for the Vitruvians, they share thoughts, dreams, emotions and opinions freely. It can be overwhelming at first, but not all of them have the same skills or skill level. Your skill set is...different." He tilted his head to the side as if to study Violet.

She furrowed her brows,"I'm worried about the...noise, I know what it feels like to hear so many people you can't hear yourself, and I thought all Vitruvians had the same abilities."

His arm swept in an arc,"You wield the whole range of skills. On Vitruvius as a person grows older, they can gain more skills. It is very complicated and I think they can explain it better. You know, I could teach you some tricks to keep your thoughts private and block intrusion of other minds, I want you to feel comfortable."

---

"May I read you?" He asked before they started, he had been teaching her Vitruvian etiquette throughout their journey.

"You may read me." She replied.

She pictured a blank white space, utter silence and still calm air, her breathing slowed as she focused on the quiet. Her mind buzzed, picking up sounds from the ship, sounds from Vitruvius, sounds from Purple. Sounds from Purple? She opened her eyes and saw that he wasn't speaking. She had almost read his thoughts and that was rare, he had excellent control.

His eyes popped open,"I'm supposed to be reading you, Violet. Come on, stay out of my head, you've focusing too much on others. Bring your focus inward, picture something vividly, some beings use this method for blocking. When an image is particularly strong it can be difficult to read the thoughts behind it."

"I'll try an image, now." She grinned, feeling proud of herself, and closed her eyes again. Violet already knew what to imagine, she often pictured the clearing at the Farm to calm herself and figured that image was strong enough for blocking.

Shafts of light tunneling through gaps in leaves onto espresso colored soil, the tiniest of wildflowers covered the ground, a warm gray boulder beside a shimmering pool of rainwater, all surrounded by thick foliage acting as walls. Oh, how she missed it there, and how she missed Zia. If only, she thought.

After a few moments Purple whispered,"Your special place in the woods, where we first met."

"Was I thinking anything?" She asked, testing to see if he caught her stray thought about Zia.

"Not as far as I could tell, so well done. Let's try another tactic. This time I want you broadcast a word. Just to me."

"What do you mean? Do I just shout it in my mind or..."

"Imagine it as a thought echoing through your mind and building, then when it is the strength you wish it to be, send it out to me."

"Um, alright."

Violet first wondered what word to send him. A million thing flew through her mind at once, something nice, sweet, friendly. Remembering the little girl she used to know, she thought of her name. Frida, Frida, Frida...and she continued to whisper it in her mind until it consumed her and rang through her skull. She could see what the girl looked like and her age, how she dressed. All the time she had spent with Frida flashed in her mind in succession. Suddenly, Violet couldn't discern if she was dreaming, hallucinating, or had literally transported herself someplace else.

First came the scent of lemon and pine...then soft crescendos of classical music...next came the image of a dimly lit round room decorated with exquisite detail. Bookshelves spanned the interior walls...a huge window filled with translucent information comprised the outer rim of the room...beyond that...the most beautiful city Violet had seen to date...inconceivable geometric architecture and dazzling pastel lights. It was all eerily familiar, like a place long forgotten in the dense mists of childhood. Yet, Frida was the one standing there taking in the view.

Purple had her by the shoulders, calling her name, his voice almost shrill...panicked.

"What happened? What did I do?" Tears ran down her face, an aching in her head pounded furiously.

Purple hesitated,"First you were thinking Frida's name, then you were sending me everything you knew about Frida. You connected to her, viewed what she was seeing in her present. I can do this with Red and Blue, if a situation is dire. You seem to have stumbled into this ability. Since you are closer to the Influence, I think we will soon see your abilities are more than either of us had imagined."

Violet wondered what this meant, she wasn't sure she could handle the responsibility or pressure. If the people there knew she was gifted, she would be expected to accomplish great things. Now more than ever she wished to be normal.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Here are a few questions to get you thinking in the comments. If you had a great time reading this part, please vote so I know you guys like this kind of thing.

So you've had your first look at Vitruvius, was the description everything you had hoped for? What were you expecting?

What did you think of Violet's newfound ability?