A Mazing: Part Two

Violet's choked back a scorching cough as smoke engulfed her. Safety was close, but to reach it she needed to scale a mountain of books. Its peak swayed in every direction and she squinted through stinging eyes at the columns and mounds lay ahead of her.

A foothold sturdy enough to hold her weight was not easy to locate. Her foot slipped from a wobbly stack, she lost balance and fell back to the start. The fire approached at increasing speed.

I'm missing something... she searched her surroundings, looking for something helpful. The ceiling was closed, nothing hung on the walls and the only objects to be seen were flaming books. She couldn't see how her abilities would improve the situation. That is the answer, sometimes I must do things on my own.

Spotting a new path leading to the top, she took a chance and climbed. Only twice did she slip and slide backward. During her ascent her hands gripped thousands of precious volumes, but she didn't have time to read the title of one.

So close. She found the final foothold and with a final burst of energy she swung herself to safety. Her heartbeat slowed, and she turned to appreciate the terrifying majesty of a flaming, book-fueled tornado.

The golden sphere beside her pulsed another burst of light and Violet knew what would happen. First came the darkness, next a vision.

She saw the back of a teenage girl. Her sandy hair blew in the breeze and her fist raised high in defiance. She stood at a podium addressing hundreds young people dressed in dull beige garb. They cheered and shouted making monstrous noise. Spikes jutted out of the ground in front of this girl, all of them covered in greenery.

It faded away, and the Maze returned.

She looked like Frida, but older. That place must have been a Farm. I have seen the past and future, next must be the present...

Desperate to be done she pressed onward. The tunnel ahead was straight and long. Violet walked for an hour and the only thing that changed was the size of the tunnel which became wider and taller as she moved forward.

What's that sound? Violet heard whispering, softly at first, but as she reached the end of the tunnel they grew louder and more numerous.

The tunnel opened into an arena where thousands of Vitruvians sat at either side. The chaos was deafening. She took a minute to realize that they were sitting motionless and their mouths weren't moving. The beings were sending her their thoughts.

The subject ranged from cheers to cried of outrage. "You can do it!" "Have courage." "Dirty Human!" "Nothing is impossible." "Find your strength." "Stupid child!" "How did you get this far?" "Clear your mind and find a way out." "No one will respect you." "Just give up, now."

The roar caused her head to ache and her eyes to glisten. She could scarcely think for herself and confusion was setting in. There was nothing in the arena apart from a wall that blocked the end of the tunnel.

She reached out for the woman from the start of the Maze, trying to find her at the end. Goosebumps covered her body and her neck prickled. Everything inside pulled her forward towards the wall.

What can I do to make it stop? Why are they here? How do I get out of the Maze? Deep breaths filled her lungs and she squeezed her eyes shut. There is nowhere to climb, nothing to use. If I picture the clearing I can regain control.

She imagined a blank space and fixated on it. Then, she brought the clearing at the Farm to life in her mind.

Trees, bugs, wildflowers, pale sky with feather clouds, the huge stump, shallow pool, foliage lining the open space, birds singing, breeze blowing, damp leaves, warming sun...

The noise died in trickles and she could think again. Her eyes popped open, and she approached the wall, her legs aching from surviving the Maze. She remembered her bloody nose, torn clothing, and messy hair. She wiped her face with her sleeve and glanced back at the crowds. They sat leaning forward, all eyes glued to her.

Violet turned away from the crowds and faced the wall, her eyes tracing the perimeter. Then, a thought emerged. Maybe I can break through...

She strode forward and pressed her hands to the wall to feel its strength. She pushed and felt the material tingling under her fingers. The silver metal gave, making two hand prints when she drew her hands away.

Am I strong, or changing its shape? Do I have to be touching it at all?

She stepped back and lifted her arms, palms out, facing the wall. She closed her eyes and imagined the wall melting away, dripping down from the top. Sending the energy from her mind to the wall, she worked. 

"She can't do it." "That girl isn't strong enough." "She's too young... and Human."

Let's see what they think of me after this...

Her eyes focused on the highest point and willed it to liquefy, sweat dripped down her temple.She planted her feet and tried her hardest, moving her hands down bit-by-bit unit she noticed a change. Light streamed in from a crack at the top and grew as she fell into a kind of trance. Focusing on each part until she had melted away the entire wall.

When she stepped out of the Maze and into the light, a single pair of hands clapped. The old woman stood beaming.

"Did I pass?" She asked the woman, her hands on her knees as she caught her breath.

She approached Violet and checked her wounds.

"Oh, you did! I've always hoped you would."

She stepped back, "Always? I don't know you..."

"But, I know you. A long time ago, I realized I was dying. And so, I needed to find someone who could take my place."

Violet shook her head, "What are you saying?"

"I found no prospects here, they are too...Vitruvian. So, I asked the seers who search through space and time to find a candidate and saw you."

She held her hands up in protest, "Nope! Everyone keeps saying I'm something special, but I don't see why. I'm just me. Just a girl who reads and loves tea." She laughed, "I barely know how to use my abilities. This is all some crazy mistake."

"I know who you are and why you're meant to be here. You with your dreams and appropriate DNA. You who learned how to be patient and work hard, who loved learning and taking care of others, and who knew right from wrong. They found you, but I was the one who took a chance. I sent the Ship Masters to find you. And they did. I told them to bring you back. And they did. I told the council you would be just right. And so...you are." The woman took Violet's hands and squeezed.

"I can't be the person everyone expects me to be. The Vitruvians don't even respect Humans. How can you ask me to take your place? I stand for equality and hope. This isn't the place for those things."

"Even better, we need someone who can lead this world out of inequality. Humans, no matter how often they fault, always repair past offenses. Vitruvius needs that now."

"I'm not sure what you want me to be. What is your job?" She searched the woman's emerald eyes.

"I'm the one in charge of Peace."