Part Four: Hyde House

Tea brewed constantly in the tiny kitchen at Hyde House. Zia waited in awe as the woman filled the tray in her hands with cakes, sausages, biscuits, jam, milk and sugar. This gave her time to look around the room. Tiny pictures and paintings filled the walls. A radio buzzed with classical music. The pantry door was open, showing hundreds of prepackaged dry goods. Everything sat aligned on Zia's tray when Margo finished.

She had never been in a family's home, but this one reminded her of Violet. It wasn't the decor or obsession with collecting things, but the atmosphere and easiness struck Zia as similar.

Zia savored the smells,"This looks great! Where will I be taking them?"

"Thank you, dear. All tha way up tha stairs, tha last door in the back....that's Carmen. Knock, but if she doesn't answer just leave the tray. If she says fer ya to come in, do so quickly. Don't get caught up, we need ya down 'ere. If ya wanna met Felix, ya better hurry. He'll be leavin' fer work soon. Now, go."

The woman smiled as she turned back to making breakfast for her husband. She moved her head to the rhythm of the music as she cooked.

As she walked carefully up the stairs, she wondered why Margo was so specific about interacting with Carmen. Her daughter must be a piece of work, thought Zia.

Margo said I was supposed to knock.

She sighed and rested the tray on the table next to the door to free her hands, then did as instructed.

"I have your breakfast..." She waited for a response. Someone was obviously in there, Zia could smell them smoking a cigarette. "Umm, I'll just leave it here."

"Come in then, geez. I can't have a moment's peace..." Carmen called, mumbling the complaint.

She walked in hesitantly, stepping over clothes laid in piles. Teacups were stacked on every surface. Books, magazines and newspapers covered the floor and Zia had to tiptoe through a narrow gap in the clutter.

Next to an open window sat a thin woman holding a cigarette with an open book in her lap.

"Hello, yer the new one? I'm Carmen the terrible..." The woman gave a weak smile as smoke trailed from her wide mouth. She twisted a black curl in her fingers.

"Hi, I'm Zia. Nice to meet you." Zia stood awkwardly, trying not to stare. She thought Carmen looked so familiar. Her heavily-lashed large brown eyes and a delicate nose. All Zia could do was blink at her.

"Ya alright, dear?" Carmen furrowed her brows, "Sit the tray by me before ya drop it."

Zia placed it on the dresser beside the woman's chair. She noticed a paper open and skimmed the headlines. Under the words, 'Pres captures Exile,' an image of Lucille stood waving.

"Tha's quite a story, ya can read it if ya like." The woman took a sip of tea, her eyes never leaving Zia. "She's quite the leader, huh?"

She couldn't tell if Carmen was being sincere."The President, I guess so. I don't know much about politics."

Carmen snorted, "Tha makes two of us. I never had the mind for it like she did," she tapped her temple.

"Who did she capture?".

"Archie. She captured Archie Hubert of all people. He might be a snake, but he wouldn't harm anyone. What a bitch. I wonder what he was doin' back 'ere."

How did he get captured? Is he okay? What am I to do now?

Zia asked,"You knew him?"

"I guess ya could say that. Archie was my friend and tha Pres is my sister." Her voice was softer now, distant.