Chapter 18

We walked inside and it didn't even take my wife a minute to run off. It was as if she was waiting to just scurry inside. I sighed and followed through the huge double doors. Two women, neatly dressed, stood at the entrance. Ayesha was speaking to one with extreme excitement as the two of them stared in awe at her.

As soon as I stepped in, they quickly greeted me.

"I am Neha, the owner of this orphanage and this is our manager, Aima," the slightly older woman spoke up.

I nodded, my eyes still wandering over Ayesha who was super excited. Her exotic smile and happy eyes made me smile too, a trance out of which I shook myself quickly.

"Nice to meet you. I suppose you know why I am here," I replied.

"Where is everybody else?" Ayesha's voice interrupted me and I found myself looking at her again.

"They're gone for lunch break but it's almost over," Aima replied, equally excited.

I was confused at that point.

I continued taking a tour of the orphanage. I still couldnt believe that Ayesha grew up here. I had never imagined that a girl so well groomed like her grew up without any parents.

Neha led me to a room that seemed unoccupied by any of the children. Instead, there was a wall of achievements. "I brought you here because I thought you might want to see this."

I frowned. "Really?"

She nodded and pointed towards an entire row of framed certificates. I neared and realized why she wanted me to see them.

They were all Ayesha's achievements. From first prize wins to participation certificates, tons of them were hanging on the wall.

My heart ached. In every picture, the few there were, her smile kept fading over the years. It must've been hard for her. Have all this and none of her parents to celebrate it with.

Neha signalled to me that it was time for me to leave and I followed her back outside. She led to the dinning hall, or the cafeteria you could call it. As we entered inside, I saw a huge cloth lying on the table. All the kids were busy scribbling writings on it. Ayesha, who now had her hair thrown in a ponytail, was guiding the children and laughing joking.

I watched her despite myself. She seemed so beautiful when she smiled. Her eyes, her nose, her lips. Gosh her lips. Absolutely kissable.

"Sir? Sir, shall we move on?" Aima's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked at her and noticed that she was trying to suppress a smile. I nodded and walked out after glancing back at my wife one last time.

Night had fallen outside. It wasn't chilly at all, though. I had dinner with the owner and discussed all important things they required. I wanted it to be a "Sadkaye Jariya(charity)" in the name of my mother. To her health. To her happiness.

I assured them that by the end of the week, my company would supply them everything that they demanded of. No matter how many.

I asked Neha about Ayesha. "They are all in the backyard sir." She replied.

I nodded and headed off to the backyard. When I got there I saw Ayesha and all the kids standing, holding a huge lantern in their hands. There was writing scribbled on every part of it. It looked so beautiful.

I moved forward and she noticed me. She said something to the kids and they moved aside, making way for me. I went and stood next to her.

"We all wrote messages and prayers for our parents on this lantern. Then we will let it fly up in the air. I wrote a prayer for my mother. Why don't you write one for your father, Farhan? I left an empty place for you next to mine," she motioned towards the lantern. I stared at it.