Chapter 7

Nate

3 days have passed since Lia took that first step with her family. I can't help but feel so damn proud that my Sunshine has finally opened herself up little by little.

Her parents and siblings knew that she still needed time so they didn't push her. They took Lia's lead. They have been patient, and we're just so happy to see Lia slowly coming out of the dark.

She still grabbed my hand and looked to me for encouragement every time she tried to make contact with her family, but I have no doubt that soon, she'll be able to be affectionate towards them again, without having me by her side. Not that I didn't like that she needs me and trusts me so much. Hell, it makes me explode with happiness and makes me feel so damn special that she needs me the way she does.

"Nate, do you think they would mind if I have some quiet time for awhile?" Lia asked as we were talking back to her room, after having lunch with her family. "I know I said I'd watch a movie with them, but..." she trailed off, as she chewed in her lip.

"You've had enough?" I finished for her.

She nodded.

"I'm sure they'll understand," I assured her.

"I know I'm kind of giving off mixed signals. It's just that I'm still... I... I'm not completely there yet."

I smiled. "I know, Sunshine. They know it too, and they understand. Don't worry about it, okay?"

She nodded at me gratefully.

"I'll be in my room if you need me," I said.

She frowned. She looked like she wanted to say something, but wasn't sure how, so she nodded instead.

"Hey," I said softly. "You can tell me anything," I said.

She looked at me and then down at her feet.

I lifted her head up and gave her an encouraging smile. "Tell me."

"Can you stay with me? I don't really want to be that alone," she said, causing me to laugh a little.

She laughed sheepishly.

"Come on," I said, and tugged her towards her room.

Lia and I laid in her bed quietly. I smiled when she snuggled next to me and wrapped her arms around me.

"Thanks, Nate," she whispered.

"For what, sunshine?"

"For everything," she breathed.

"No need to thank me, Sunshine. It's my pleasure," I said, and kissed the top of her head.

She snuggled closer to me and sighed contentedly.

It wasn't long before she has fallen asleep.

I smiled and closed my eyes, and fell asleep within minutes.

Some time later my phone started ringing.

"Hello?" I answered.