Chapter 29

Lia

"Thank you for an amazing day," I said to Nate as we laid down on the bed, snuggled close to each other.

"You're most welcome," he said.

"Whatever happens from here on in, I will always be grateful for all the times we had together," I said.

"Me too. And we'll have many more years together to add to our happy memories," he said.

I nodded against him.

Tomorrow is the beginning of a bigger battle we have to face. With Carlos out on bail, I know that he will never stop until he finds me. But I'll be ready for him. I won't cower. Not now. Not when I have every reason to fight and live.

"I promise you, I will never let go of your hand. I will fight. I will make your strength my own," I vowed.

"And I promise you, that I will never let you fall. I'll protect you with my life."

We sealed our promise and our love for each other with a kiss.

***

I walked into the living and heard the news about Rivera.

Nate followed behind me.

"Turn that off," he ordered.

"No!" I said.

"Sunshine..." He protested.

"It's okay. I'm okay. I want to see this," I said. "Turn it up, please."

"Mr. Rivera, what can you say about this turn of events?"

"Well, what can I say? I am innocent until proven guilty and today, the court agrees with me," he said cockily.

"What are your plans, while awaiting your retrial?" The reporter asked.

"I'm going to do what I've been waiting to do for a long time," he said, as he looked right into the camera.

I swallowed hard.

"And what is that, Mr. Rivera?" The reporter asked.

"I'm going to visit a very, very close friend," he said.

"Okay. Enough," Nate growled, as he grabbed the remote, I stopped his hand from turning the tv off.

"It's okay, Nate. I'm not afraid of him. Not anymore," I said.

I pressed rewind and then play.

"I'm going to visit a very, very close friend," he said.

I paused the screen.

"I'll be waiting for you, you son of a bitch," I said.

"Atta girl," Dave remarked.

"Lia?" Nate said worriedly.

"I'm okay. I'm really okay," I assured him.

He nodded and hugged me to him.

Carlos

"Get me the fuck outta here," I said, as I climbed inside my car. "Fucking reporters," I spat out.

"Is everything ready?" I asked Joaquin, my right hand man.

"Yes, sir," he said.