Chapter 10

Nate

"Sunshine," I said softly, to Lia's sleeping form.

"Hmmm" she whined as she pushed me away.

"Wake up, sleepyhead," I said.

"Shhh!"

I chuckled. "I'm going to go for my run, okay. I'll be back soon."

Her eyes opened then. "How long will you be gone?" She asked with worry.

I smiled. "Not too long," I assured her. "Jake's in the living room. He'll be staying with you. Dave and Allan went into town to grab a few things for us."

"Store's open this early?" She asked.

"Sunshine, it's 9 in the morning."

"Oh."

"I'll be back soon, and then I was thinking we can start your training tomorrow. For today, we can explore and go to town, when I get back from my run. What do you think?" I asked.

Her face lit up. "I'd like that," she said.

"Okay then. Up you go, and have some breakfast. I should be back in an hour."

"Okay, big brother," she teased.

I shook my head. "Bye, wifey!" I retorted.

I walked out of the room and found Jake leaning on the wall at the end of the hallway with a smirk on his face.

"You've got it bad, man," he said.

I grinned, not even denying it. "She's amazing," I said. "But keep it down will you? I don't want to freak her out. I want to take things slow with her."

He nodded.

"I don't want her to run away from me. She still has a lot of demons to fight and overcome."

"I understand, man."

"I'll be back soon."

He nodded.

"Oh and, listen, just make sure you don't touch her," I warned.

"Yeah. I read her file, man," Jake said. "But she seems to be okay with you touching her."

"Yeah. I don't understand it, but hell, it makes me feel so damn special."

Jake burst out laughing. "Oh god, Matthews, who knew love will make you talk like a girl," he teased.

"Wait till its your turn, asshole."

He snorted. "Yeah, no thanks."

"We'll see," I said, as I walked out the door.

Lia

"Morning," Jake greeted me with a smile.

I like Jake. The fact that he's Nate's best friend is enough for me to trust him. But there was something else about him. He doesn't look at me like others do. He looks at me with respect. Just like Nate. He doesn't see me as a victim. Like someone who needs to be fixed or someone who's damaged and fucked up. I'm just a person.

"Morning," I said.

"Won't you sit with me, Eddie," he said.

I raised my eyebrows in question. "Eddie?"

"Yup. Another name for edible," he winked. "Eddie, sounds better, doesn't it?" He joked.

I burst out laughing. "Oh god. Please don't tell me that, that line actually works on girls," I said while still laughing.