Chapter One - A Very Surprising Discovery

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER ONE

A VERY SURPRISING DISCOVERY

Jaax wrinkled his nose as the sound of a chattering bird pulled him from his slumber, but he kept his eyes shut and remained motionless nonetheless. Not that he could've moved much anyway, for the small, fern-laced hollow he'd tucked himself into the night before was just big enough to accommodate his large size, wings and all. He sighed softly, releasing a hot, smoke-tinged breath that forced the damp leaves plastered to the forest floor to peel and curl in protest.

After a few heartbeats he risked a peek, opening one silvery-green dragon's eye to catch a glimpse of the damp, grey morning that congested the forest like a heavy cold. Most dragons had eyes of yellow, orange or red, dominated by a wild intelligence. It was only the Tanaan dragons whose eyes were shaded in the blues, greens and browns of their human ancestors. Jaax shivered at the recollection. A terrible curse had meant the end of the humans in Ethoes, the same curse that had brought about the existence of his particular race of dragons nearly five centuries ago.

Jaax blinked several times as if doing so would remove these dark thoughts from his mind the way tears dislodged grains of sand from one's eyes. And his eyes were quite unique, even for a Tanaan dragon. They shone with a fierce obscurity, as if they'd been tame at one time but had since returned to being wild. Why they had become this way, however, was a mystery known entirely to the soul buried behind them. It was only during this first waking moment that Jaax revealed any clues as to what sorrows and secrets he kept locked away, but that small amount of time was never long enough for anyone to discern the dragon's troubles.

Jaax sighed and continued to listen to the singing bird from earlier. It was a heartsong sparrow, a harbinger of luck, hope and love. The tiny creature trilled on before it was frightened away by something larger foraging for food. Well, the dragon thought with an amused smile, at least it wasn't me this time.

With his fine musician flown, the dragon lifted his triangular head and gazed more thoroughly at his surroundings. The feathery ferns that brushed against his face acted as a fragile screen between his tiny vale and the outside world and the great, gnarled oaks stretching overhead resembled giant, arthritic hands reaching up out of the earth to grasp at the insubstantial fog. Despite its early morning lethargy, the forest was alive with a variety of scents: cold fog, decaying leaves and the distant tang of a fresh fire being the most prominent. Jaax tilted his head to listen for possible intruders, but all he heard was the drip of condensation gathering and slapping against the leaf-litter below.