Chapter Two - Hroombramantu

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER TWO

HROOMBRAMANTU

From his relatively low altitude Jaax could see the entire landscape spreading out before him like a patchwork quilt. His two day journey had been pleasant, especially since Jahrra had given him little trouble. They had soared easily over the Great Thronn Wilderness, camping on the hillside beside Thedhia's tiny stone cabin the night before. The elfin woman had fussed and clucked over Jahrra, feeding her and cleaning her once she had peeled her away from Jaax's scaly hide. But when she tried to take the baby in for the night, the young dragon interjected.

"She stays with me," he said in a voice stern enough to make a giant redwood tremble.

Thedhia objected weakly but backed down when the dragon gave her one of his deadly glares. She had stalked back to her cabin dejectedly only to return in the morning, her mood much improved, to bid them farewell. Now they were far south of Arlei, closing in on the secret part of Oescienne that was protected by two giant mountain chains. Jaax breathed in the

wild air and grinned, the pleasure of being in this place coursing through his blood like the wind flowing over his scales.

The Elornn Range and the Thorbet Mountains together looked like a huge, purple-spiked serpent wrapped in a wide arc, beginning and ending on the shore. To the west was an unobstructed coastline with a delicate ribbon of golden-cream sand stretching for several miles beside the deep expanse of sapphire -water.

A crop of rippling sand dunes, grooved farmlands, rich valleys, thick forests and rolling hills dotted the earth in a perfectly random pattern. The Raenyan and Oorn Rivers in the north and south were a brilliant contrast against the varied landscape; the sun's reflection blazing upon their glassy surfaces like a flame burning angrily along a fuse.

Jaax grinned when he spotted his destination, a great hill that sloped upward from the east and ended as a dramatic drop at its western-most point. The flat hill itself was covered mostly by a dark forest the locals called the Wreing Florenn, but the rest of it was covered in open fields and small wood copses. This obvious landmark was simply called the Great Sloping Hill, and this was where the dragon Hroombramantu awaited the arrival of the infant Jahrra.

Jaax soared over the Elornn Foothills, descending a little to get a closer view of the land below. He frightened a flock of sheep and sent them bleating and scattering in terror as he swept over the rolling fields of the Raenyan Valley. They looked a lot like oversized cotton balls being blasted by a gust of wind, and he couldn't help but chuckle lightly as he passed.