Chapter Fifteen - Friends in Unexpected Places

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

FRIENDS IN UNEXPECTED PLACES

The sight of Jahrra being half carried, half dragged back to the house by her friends and one of the servants must have been quite a sight for the lord and lady of the great house to behold. Fortunately, they were too busy indulging their adult guests to notice not only the large party now approaching, but also the fact that they had been short twenty or so children for quite some time now.

The knowledge that she might've been missed didn't bother Jahrra one bit. In fact, she was greatly pleased by it. The last thing she wanted to do was draw more attention to herself by causing a scene among so many disapproving people. The large, strangely-silent mob stopped at the bottom of the staircase leading up to the back patio, eyes still wide with shock from what had happened in the canyon.

The young man who had come to the rescue turned, left Jahrra to lean against Scede, and addressed the other children, "Now, I'm going to take this young lady into the kitchens so she can clean up. I suggest the rest of you return to the party and enjoy the rest of your night."

The Nesnan man, who didn't look much older than Jahrra's oldest schoolmates, had a kindly tone of voice and seemed genuinely concerned about Jahrra's recovery. He also seemed quite aware of how this scene would be received by the host and hostess. Jahrra had a feeling that he knew the master and mistress of the house would be more horrified at the idea of a girl covered in mud than at the fact she'd nearly been killed.

The young servant looked over the children once again, his eyes dark and his mouth set sternly. He clasped his hands casually in front of him, as if patiently waiting for an unruly party guest to finish a long-winded complaint. It seemed to work because gradually the school children began shuffling their way up the stairs, leaving only Scede and Gieaun remaining.

"Now, how about it?" he asked, jerking his head toward the stairs after the other children.

"She's our best friend," Gieaun said, tears swimming in her eyes as she hugged Jahrra's overly-abused jacket. "Can't we go with her?"

She looked up at the young man with pleading eyes, and he sighed, dropping all pretenses. "Of course, of course. I just hope you three don't mind spending the rest of the evening in the kitchen with us lowly servants." He smiled warmly and Jahrra cheered up a bit.

The young man went on to explain to them that the two children who came and got him told him all about what had happened.

"It just isn't right, treating people so. I know how you feel."