Chapter Seventeen - Dueling with Dragons

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

DUELING WITH DRAGONS

It took a few minutes for Jahrra to realize why the sight of Jaax made her uneasy, and how long it had been since she'd seen him. Four years ago, she thought, when he brought her Phrym. Then it struck her; why she received a stabbing pang of distaste when she'd heard the dragon's voice. For three years now she'd subconsciously been blaming him for the death of her parents. She'd forgotten her anger in time, just as she'd learned to deal with her sorrow, but seeing the dragon now had the same effect as throwing stones at a hornet's nest.

Jahrra took a deep breath and forced herself to look Jaax in the eye. Cold, granite eyes, she thought with a shiver. "What are you doing here?" she finally said, her throat feeling constricted and her mouth feeling dry.

"I'm here on business," the dragon said simply, his voice holding a hint of amusement.

Jahrra still found Jaax imposing, despite the fact she was sitting high atop Phrym, and she wondered how she hadn't spotted him when they first approached. He must have been waiting for me inside the Ruin, spying, she decided with distaste.

She released a short breath and asked as pleasantly as she could, "Where's Master Hroombra?"

"He'll be out shortly. I couldn't help but overhear you shouting so loudly at your friends, so I came out to greet you all." He paused and then cocked his head to the side, eyeing her like a bug he was considering squashing. "Do you always take pleasure in deceiving your friends, Jahrra?"

The question took Jahrra by surprise, like a punch in the stomach. She glared up at Jaax, but he just kept looking at her as if she were insignificant. Jahrra turned her eyes away and suddenly felt the way she did when Eydeth or Ellysian looked at her. Who is he to judge me? she thought furiously. I don't deceive my friends!

Gieaun and Scede shifted on their horses somewhere behind her. She moved slowly to look at them, reluctant to turn her back on her enemy. They'd noticed Jaax before she did and had wisely stayed put where they were. Now they were giving her a fragile look as she sought them out with desperate eyes.

"Hello," Jaax said cheerily over Jahrra's head. "You are Gieaun and Scede if I'm not mistaken? I remember you two from last time I was here. You've grown quite a bit."

He smiled freely at them and they seemed to relax a little, both grinning sheepishly.

What?! Jahrra thought with her mouth hanging open. How can he be so nice to them and treat me like dirt?!