Chapter Eighteen - The Elves of Dhonoara

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

THE ELVES OF DHONOARA

The normally short trip down the Sloping Hill took longer than expected, what with Jahrra and Jaax stopping every now and then along the way to greet familiar faces. Jahrra couldn't resist saying hello to the mailman, Mr. Dharedth, whom she hadn't seen since she started riding Phrym to school.

"Jahrra! My how you've grown! You look a full foot taller than last time I saw you." His kind eyes crinkled in amusement. "How old are you now?"

"Eleven," Jahrra answered proudly.

"You don't say . . ." the mailman mused. "She's gonna be a tall one, that girl," he added to Jaax. "Say . . ." Dharedth said, looking at the dragon more closely, "you don't look like Master Hroombra. Jahrra, who's your friend here?"

"Oh," Jahrra said in surprise, forgetting that Jaax only ever visited her and Hroombra. "This is Jaax. He doesn't visit often."

"Huh, well it's a pleasure to meet you. Jaax is it? I go by Dharedth. How do you do?" Dharedth didn't seem intimidated by Jaax one bit, and Jahrra was glad of this. The mailman was used to seeing Hroombra, so the sight of a dragon wasn't as shocking as it would've been to anybody else, she decided.

"I'm glad to meet you, and I'm well." Jaax cast a firm glance at Jahrra before continuing in a rather diplomatic manner, "I wish we could stay and chat, but we have an important meeting in town."

"Oh, I best be off now too. You two may have the day off, but we delivery folk don't. Have a nice day." He waved cheerily as he clicked his old horse on down the road.

"You too!" Jahrra called after the clattering mail cart. She stopped smiling when she turned and saw the look on Jaax's face.

He spoke before she could give his serious gaze any more thought.

"Jahrra, the lessons you'll be receiving and those who'll be training you must be kept a secret. You cannot tell anyone about them. And in case you're thinking of telling the whole world just to upset me, remember that this request comes from Hroombra as well. Luckily your mailman friend wasn't overly curious, but in case we see anyone else they'll receive the same explanation I gave him."

Jahrra risked another look at him, but when she saw more than just sternness and no trace of smugness in his gaze, she quickly focused her attention on the road straight ahead and nodded in subtle obedience. Had that been fear she saw behind Jaax's stony green eyes? Fear or not, Jahrra could see that this issue was very important to the dragon. As much as she disliked him, however, she felt that on this matter it would be best to do as she was told, no questions asked.