Chapter 43 - What's going on?

Chapter 43 – What's going on?

Lucy's POV

The next morning I wake up fairly early. Well, it's only just gone nine, which is extremely early for me. As the whole Pack has training today from two, most of us have taken the day off school or work, and those who haven't will only be in for a half day. I'm not quite sure how we're going to pull this off without the humans suspecting something's off but I'm not the one who has to worry about that, some other's will probably be pulling all the strings they can to make it work, so I don't spend too much time worrying about it.

"Morning," Beck murmurs, and I glance over to find him still curled up in the makeshift bed on my floor. "You're awake early."

"So are you," I remind him with a small smile. "How long have you been awake for?"

"A couple of hours," he replies with a shrug. "I didn't have a very good night's sleep."

"Why, what's wrong?" I ask, concern crashing over me as I lean up on my elbow to get a better look at him. He looks tired.

"Nothing. It's just..." he starts, his eyes meeting mine for a few seconds before breaking contact. "Nothing. It's nothing," he then assures me.

I sigh but decide not to push him; if he doesn't want to tell me then he doesn't have to. I hate it when he does that, starts to open up before thinking better of it and playing it off as nothing.

"What are your plans for the day?" I ask, deciding to change the subject.

"I'll probably head into town for a few hours before training," he tells me, sitting up and reaching for the T-shirt he left on the floor last night and pulling it on. "What about you?"

"I don't know," I admit. I've not really got anything to do until two o'clock. "I'll probably spend the day with Jess and Amy."

If it's not already obvious, things have been pretty off between Beck and me since last night, and I hate it. I know he knows that there's something going on between Justin and I, and he knows I know he knows, but neither of us bring up the subject.

We quietly make our way downstairs, him now fully dressed and me in my pyjamas, and bump in to Jess and Amy who are currently sat in the kitchen having breakfast.

"Hey, you two are up early," Amy says, smiling when she sees us, and we just mumble some noncommittal response in reply.

"O-kay..." Jess says then, seemingly picking up on our mood pretty fast.

I grab two bowls and pour some cereal into them before handing one to Beck, who takes it with a quick "thanks" before moving to the fridge to get out the milk. Once we've got our breakfast the four of us head in to the living room to watch some TV.

"Where are Richard and Louisa?" I ask curiously once I've taken a seat on the sofa next to Jess.

"I think dad's gone into work for a few hours and mum's still in bed," Amy says, flicking through the TV channels to try and find something good to put on.

Eventually, she settles on an episode of 'Melissa and Joey' and we watch it in silence. When the episode ends, Beck announces that he's going out for a bit and will see us all at training later, and the second he's out the front door Amy and Jess both turn to me.

"So, what the hell's going on?" Amy asks.

"I don't know," I sigh, running my hands through my hair in frustration. "Things are just really weird right now."