Chapter 6 - Never going to happen...

Chapter 6 –  Never going to happen...

Justin's POV

All throughout the meal I struggle to keep my eyes off of her.

We're currently sat around the dining table, my parents at both ends, and me and Lucy both facing each other. The food's almost all gone now and yet my parents are still firing questions her way.

It's easy to see that they've missed having her around.

I sit here trying to make it look like I'm not paying attention as I listen quietly to her answering a question my dad asked about living with the Harbours'.

"Yeah, it's great," she replies, smiling. "Ames and Jess are amazing friends and Richard and Louisa have always provided me with everything I've needed. They're all practically like family now."

All I can smell is her goddamn scent. Sweet citrus orange... the most deliciously refreshing smell ever. I've been obsessed with it from the second I smelt it in the car park at school, but I know I shouldn't be, knowing that it's Lucy's scent I'm smelling.

I force myself not to roll my eyes as my dad asks yet another question for her to answer.

It's the next question that my mum asks her, however, that literally has my heart stopping.

"So, Lucy, have you found your mate yet?"

I watch out of the corner of my eye as she completely freezes up, glancing briefly in my direction before returning her gaze to my mother. I don't look at either of them.

"Um... no," she replies, causing me to let out the breath that I hadn't realised I'd been holding. "Not yet."

"Oh, that's a shame," my mum replies, not even realising that she hit an extreme nerve.

I've noticed all night that Lucy hasn't exactly been comfortable with the current situation, but I can see her starting to relax a bit more now. Even I have to admit that it's not completely horrible having her here tonight, chatting away with my parents who are so obviously happy to see her. It's almost like old times again.

My mum starts saying something that I'm not really listening to but, when I hear Lucy laugh, my head shoots up to look at her.

That laugh... I haven't heard that laugh in years.

I used to hear it all the time when we were kids, the laugh that she's always hated but I've always thought of as beautiful and unique.

A slight smile starts to curve my lips as I watch her laughing happily away with my mum... but then it's completely extinguished when I notice the knowing smile that my dad is currently sending my way.

Okay so it's not news to me that, when we were growing up, my parents both thought that me and Lucy would end up pairing off as mates, whether we were predestined or not. It's also not news to me that, again, when we were growing up, I thought Lucy would be a good choice for me to pair off with. But, obviously, that all changed when she got her Omega ranking and I realised that there are plenty more fish in the sea. My parents, however, still seem to think there's a chance for the two of us.

No way in hell.

There's no way that's ever going to happen.

I couldn't be mated to an Omega, I just couldn't. As I've already mentioned, Lucy is not fit to be a Luna.

Hell, Rachel would make a better Luna than Lucy. She could keep order... maybe, keep the house clean, bring up children... and maybe she'd even be able to help out with the plans sometimes. She might not be the best Luna ever known to wolf, but she'd be a hell of a lot better at it than Lucy.