Chapter 13 - Wait, what?!

[This Chapter is dedicated to 0LizzyBrown0 for the new awesome cover she made for me!!! :D Thank you!]  

Chapter 13 – Wait, what?!

Lucy's POV

At five minutes to nine I'm walking up the steps and knocking on the door of the Alpha house, practically bouncing on the balls of my feet in anticipation. Wayne's car is already parked outside on the road, so I know that he and Dean are most likely already inside, which should mean that I can inform them all of what Beck told me earlier as soon as I get inside.

A few seconds pass before the door in front of me is opening, revealing Justin standing in a pair of light grey sweats and a black T-shirt. The dampness of his hair indicates that he's not long gotten out of the shower and I force my mind off that specific thought train before it gets too far down the tracks.

Sure, Justin Detroit is a complete asshole, but he is still one hot motherfucker... and not even I can deny that fact.

"Um, hey," I say awkwardly, forcing myself to keep my eyes on his face and not the way his T-shirt clings slightly to his damp chest... Fuck.

What the hell is wrong with me?! This is Justin!

"Hey, come on in," he replies with a slight grin, taking me completely by surprise.

Hold up... is he actually being friendly towards me? When the hell did that happen?

"Um... thanks?" I reply, unable to stop it from sounding like a question as I step inside and he closes the door behind me.

"No problem," he replies. "Everyone's already in the office so..."

We make our way over to his dad's office and, when we enter, I notice that David, Wendy, Dean and Wayne are all inside. There's no map out today, though, and so they're all just sitting around waiting for me and Justin to arrive.

"Hey, Lucy," Wendy greets as soon as she sees me, and I quickly return her smile with a small one of my own.

"What did he find?" David asks, getting straight down to business.

"A name of one of the rogues," I reply instantly. "Well, the apparent rogue leader to be more precise."

That seems to take everyone by surprise, just as it had me.

"What is it?" Dean asks, sounding more than slightly curious but also a little sceptical.

"Kailen," I reply.

"Kailen?" Justin repeats, sounding confused. "What sort of name is that?"

"Beck said it means 'mighty warrior' or something like that," I explain with a shrug, not really having much more to say.

"What else did he find?" Dean then asks.

"Not much," I admit. "Pretty much just what we knew already, that there are eight of them and stuff like that. He guessed that half of it was lies anyway as not many people seemed too keen on stepping on these rogues' toes."

"Not that we can really blame them..." David mutters to himself, and it's only then that I notice the look that he and Wayne are sharing. It's enough to send shivers down my spine.

"Dad, what's going on?" Justin asks, also picking up on the conversation that the Alpha and Beta seem to be having with their eyes. And it's not just them, either, because I notice that Wendy's also slightly frowning from where she sits on the sofa.

"I'm not sure... it might be nothing," David replies, but his words aren't all that reassuring considering the amount of time (or shall I say lack of) that he takes on getting out the map of the surrounding forest.

"We'll need patrols," Wayne suddenly speaks up, his voice and expression as serious as I've ever seen before. He goes over to stand by David's side and looks at the map as well, leaving me, Justin and Dean all completely confused.

What's going on?

"I know," David replies, obviously thinking for a minute before looking up at me with one of the most confusing expressions I've ever seen. Before I can even get the chance to try and figure out what it means, he's looking back down at the map once more.

"Dad," Justin says, his voice slightly firmer than before. He obviously enjoys being left completely in the dark about just as much as I do.

"Okay, we'll have to pair up and run patrols," David finally sighs, completely ignoring his son as his eyes continue to rapidly scan the map. "We can't afford to go in singles but I don't want many people finding out about this, it'll just make them panic, so we can't afford to go in any bigger than pairs either."
He says something quieter to Wayne after that (something that we can't hear from the other side of the room) and immediately Wayne's reaching for his phone and dialling on the way to the door, exiting the room just as he greets whoever it is on the other end.

When it becomes obvious that the adults aren't going to elaborate anytime soon, Justin sighs and obviously decides to just go with it. "What do we need to do?"

"Help with the patrols," David replies, looking up at us. "We need people running a border check at all times. Wayne and I will make one pair, Dean and Jack can make another, and then you and Lucy can pair up."

Wait, what?!

"Oh, and I'll get Wayne to inform Sam and John of the situation as well, which will make a fourth pair and that will just have to do," David adds on the end, before turning his attention back to the map.

Unlike what I expected, Justin doesn't complain about the patrol situation at all, in fact, he doesn't even look the slightest bit bothered, which is kind of surprising. I mean, doesn't it just make sense for him to work alongside his future Beta? What kind of logic is this?

"When do we start?" Dean asks, not sounding all too happy about the pairing but obviously deciding that we have bigger issues right now.

"Tonight; and, whatever you do, don't split up," David replies. "You and Jack can take the Western border, your dad and I can take the Eastern side, I'll get Sam and John to take the North, and then Justin I want you and Lucy to take the Southern side, okay?"

"Okay," Justin replies, sounding just as serious as his father, and I can't help but take note of the tension in his shoulders and neck.

And, just like that, it's settled. I'm being paired off with none other than Justin Detroit to go and do a night-patrol on the Southern side of our Pack's borders. Something is most definitely not right...

"Oh, and Lucy?" David asks.

"Yeah?"

"I need you to go find Beck tomorrow and ask him to keep digging for more information... See if he'll ask around about this Kailen rogue."

"Um, okay..."

"Justin? I want you to go with her."

"What?!" both me and Justin shriek at the same time, him obviously not as okay with this idea as he is us patrolling together.

"You heard," David replies, giving us both a look that clearly states 'no arguing'. "I don't particularly want anyone walking around on their own at a time like this, especially not in unclaimed territory."

"A time like what, dad?" Justin practically demands.

"I can't tell you, at least not right now anyway," is all his dad replies.

(Hey guys! So... I woke up this morning and found that OMEGA has hit #558 on the werewolf what's hot list!!! I am friggin' ecstatic right now!!! Thank you to all who have voted and supported this story so far, it's really incredible :D  

Okay, so i know that this chapter is fairly short but i really wanted it to end where it did and couldn't think of a good enough way to extend it, but i hope it was still worth reading. Next update will be on Friday, and any Justin fans will be happy to know that it'll be more of a Justin/Lucy chapter because there hasn't really been one of those yet ;) i'm not definitely sure who's POV it'll be in but i'm thinking to stick with Lucy for that chapter. Anyways, i'm beginning to ramble now so thanks again for reading, byee!)