Chapter 16- When Children Meet Adults

A/N: 6K?!!! Oh my gods, you guys are amazing. Seriously. And I feel so bad making you wait ten days for this chapter, but I hope it's worth it. I'm thinking of doing a time skip soon and writing the wedding. How do you guys feel about that? Also, I'm super stressed for no reason whatsoever... So yeah. Anyways, here's the long awaited chapter! Hope you like it!

"Okay guys," Sophie began, cueing the class to fall silent. "We have two guests here today. Fitz Vacker and Keefe Sencen."

A large smile was displayed across Keyon's face and his hands were shaking. When Keefe waved at him, he looked like he was about to faint. Arden and Cecily, on the other hand, were clearly whispering about Fitz.

Both boys shot amused grins at Sophie, and she couldn't help but giggle slightly. She turned back to the class and held a hand out, signaling them to pay attention.

"As you all know, Fitz and I are Cognates," Sophie taught. "We'll be learning about this unique relationship between Telepaths today in class." She turned to Keefe. "Why don't you sit next to Keyon and watch the lesson?"

Keefe laughed. "I just graduated and I'm back in school," he whined. But nonetheless, he went and sat next to Keyon.

"I can't believe I'm actually meeting you," Keyon whispered, leaning towards Keefe. "You're a legend!"

Keefe smirked. "Is that so?"

"Yep! Your pranks are so awesome! I wish I could be as good as you." His smile faded and he dropped his head. "I'm not even worthy of being in your presence."

Keefe bit back a laugh and placed a hand on Keyon's shoulder. "Hey, kiddo, don't say that. I got good because of practice, and so will you!" He looked up at Sophie who was in deep conversation with Fitz and Cecily. "Tell you what. I'll give you one of my best prank's blueprints and we'll see how well you can execute it. How does that sound?"

Keyon's face lit up. "Really? Oh my gods that would be amazing!" He leaned back in his chair and sighed. "I think this is the best day of my life."

Sophie clapped her hands, commanding attention to the front of the classroom. "Who can tell me what Cognates are?"

Arden raised her hand. "They're two elves who have a special connection based upon trust. They can do things a single elf cannot."

"Exactly, Arden," Sophie agreed, smiling. "Cognates do have a connection based upon trust, but this takes years and years to achieve. Fitz and I don't have any secrets between us- at all."

"What happens if you did have secrets?" Cecily timidly asked.

Sophie glanced at Fitz, signaling him to explain. "It can destroy the Cognate relationship," he told Cecily. "For example, my father and Quinlin had a Cognate relationship, but since secrets were held back, they're not Cognates anymore."

All three students' eyes widened.

"It's a fragile relationship," Sophie summarized. "Now, who wants to play a game?"

The students' solemn expressions disappeared and their faces lit up. Sophie herself couldn't help smiling at their excited expressions.

"We have an even number of people, don't we? Let's split up into teams."

Before anyone could react, both Arden and Cecily simultaneously cheered, "Boys versus girls!"

Sophie shot Fitz and Keefe an amused look. "Boys versus girls it is. Keefe and Fitz- you're with Keyon. Arden and Cecily- you're with me."

"Aw that's not fair," Fitz complained. "We have two Telepaths and you have three."

Sophie crossed her arms. "I guess you'll have to figure out how to make do with an Empath." She winked at Arden and Cecily, who giggled.